PDA

View Full Version : Bit Offset Related - Driving me nuts !

hetzerguitars
02-03-2008, 10:20 PM
So I have some pockets in wood. I don't want to cut them with the 1/8" bit that makes no sense. The 1/4" could do it. So I go under Edit... Board Setting... Pattern Bit... And I choose the 1/4" bit and it changes the drawing. And I cant change the offset. I have a set drawing, I don't want it changed. I want the same patten to be cut with a larger bit. Does this make any sense?

Lets say I have a circle that is 4" in diameter. The 1/4" bit can do this fast. So if I change it in the software, now the circle is 4 1/8" or something. It's like there is a feather even though I have feather off.

Another odd thing even thought I set it to use 1/8" straight under edit board setting when I save it and put it in the machine it asks for the 1/8" or 1/16" carving bit. How do I say, I want this pattern cut with this bit. And have it not change my drawing. I click on the pocket I made and it doesn't give me the selection for "select bit". So that is the only thing I can do.

- Jim

hotpop
02-04-2008, 12:25 AM
Jim - Can you upload the file? It would help to see it and come up with a solution.

hotpop
02-04-2008, 07:23 AM
hetzerguitars

When you refer to a pocket I assume you are not cutting a shape through your board.

I'm not sure how you created the pockets you refer to. If you used a region there is no bit option. The machine will prompt you for the default carving bit for the pocket. If you changed the bit in board settings then that bit becomes the default cutting bit.

If you drew the pocket with vector rectangles, lines, circles, arcs, etc. then you can select your bit and use offset/inset. The max. offset is 1/8". So you want to use the 1/8" cutter to cut inside the perimeter of the pocket. Depending how big the pocket is, you may need to add additional lines inside the pocket for a bigger tool to clear out the middle area of the pocket.

HighTechOkie
02-04-2008, 10:28 AM
The dimensions for a carve region are referenced to the center of the bit. Thus if you set the pattern bit to 1/4" Ballnose, each edge will be overcarved by 1/2 bit diameter or 1/8" in this case. If you want a finished diameter 4" circle and carved with a 1/4" ballnose, you would constrain the diameter to 4"-1/8"-1/8"=3 3/4".

Rob

hetzerguitars
02-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Please forgive the tone of this post, I am very frustrated right now.

I am using regions (I think). I have been designing in Adobe Illustrator because it does vector images and every says to work in vector. (but I still can't figure out how people use them with the CW software because it doesn't import vector formats (.ai, .eps, etc..). I draw in vector save as GIF and import. That being the case, why work in vector?

I need to be able to lay something out at a specific location and specific size and radius. And the CW software doesn't do that. I can't say I want this box 70mm from this one and the corners are 7mm Radius. I am just trying to layout electric guitar bodies. Squares with rounded corners. That's all. Nothing fancy. But I need to be able to say the radius of the rounded corner and specify the location. I know how to do the location, but my shapes are the wrong size and tapered. (The taper is because it asked for the 1/16" carver which is angled so as it cut 3/4" deep it's at an angle because the bit isn't straight.

I guess I have to use regions because I am importing a shape. But I can't redraw these larger depending on the bits, that's ignorant. The app can't do a simple offset for a bit ? I am so incredibly frustrated with this software.

- Jim

p.s. Another thing that makes no sense, why such a rigid registration system for the software. It can't be used for anything other than this machine, so why only give me 2 licenses. How come 6 months ago when I 1st downloaded it, it gave me 30 days and that's it. Why a demo mode at all. The software has no use without the machine, they know they are getting their $2000 for the machine. Why bust my balls because I want 1 more license.