PDA

View Full Version : Importing Digital Photos?

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions to bring digital pictures into designer? I have been bringing the pictures into photoshop then into designer but am having problems with the pixelations and the designer recognizing the photos. Any suggestions on another software program to use or tips and techniques?

deemon328
02-02-2008, 08:24 PM
If you do a search for lithopanes, you'll find lots of successful photo imports.

One of the things I like to do to bring the subject into the forground is to go around the subject with the lasso tool. Once you have the subject selected, select inverse then blur it all out by at least 20 pixels. This will make the subject pop out of the photo, and the background mute into obscurity.

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-02-2008, 08:28 PM
That makes sense but which software are you talking about using? Thanks for the info...

pilotcreek
02-02-2008, 08:32 PM
I bring digital photo's in with Corel photo paint, just remember to convert to grey scale and they turn out pretty good. bill

deemon328
02-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Ah, sorry. I do this in photoshop or fireworks, but it's not specific to just these two programs.

Jeff_Birt
02-02-2008, 08:43 PM
Twinpeaks, avoid JPGs like the plague. The JPG compression scheme has lots of undesirable side effects when used for our (carving) purposes. PNG is you best shot. If your image has ever been in JPG format the damage is done, but you can try to clean it up in a photo editing program and then save it as a PNG.

Ken Massingale
02-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Twinpeaks, avoid JPGs like the plague. The JPG compression scheme has lots of undesirable side effects when used for our (carving) purposes. PNG is you best shot. If your image has ever been in JPG format the damage is done, but you can try to clean it up in a photo editing program and then save it as a PNG.
Thanks Jeff. That's why I'm getting crappy results with .jpg's that I save as .png's.

olesilverfox
02-05-2008, 05:57 PM
I am a brand new owner of a CarveWright machine [box isn't even open yet] and I am real interested in carving patterns made from digital photos. I read alot of messages here about PNG's . Is that a format just as JPG is a format? Could you please explain.

bobi
02-16-2008, 10:45 AM
I am a brand new owner of a CarveWright machine [box isn't even open yet] and I am real interested in carving patterns made from digital photos. I read alot of messages here about PNG's . Is that a format just as JPG is a format? Could you please explain.

Yes, just another image format, EXCEPT it doesn't lose image information. It uses "loseless" compression.