PDA

View Full Version : Greasing Spindle Bearing

jstone
02-02-2008, 04:36 AM
I have been reading lots about the spindle bearing. I understand over lubing the flex shaft will potentially cause the bearing to fail. Is it possible to grease this bearing slightly on occassion just to be on the safe side? I believe over lubing thins the grease and it will run out of the bearing.

Digitalwoodshop
02-02-2008, 09:43 AM
As the Robot in "Lost in Space" would say at a time like this.... "Danger young Will Robinson....

Bearings have a very light coating of lubrication and are sealed for life. To access the bearing you would need to break the seal of the bearing opening it to future contamination.

http://www.machinerylubrication.com/article_detail.asp?articleid=751

'The life expectancy of a grease for rolling bearings will rise or fall based on many factors. But when and how should relubrication be triggered? Small, lightly loaded ball bearings may not require any relubrication during a machine’s lifetime, making them prime candidates for sealed or shielded “sealed-for-life” bearings."

I damaged a sealed bearing on my Z truck and had to replace them, see picture.

The most damaging thing for the Z Spindle Bearing is over lubrication of the Flex Shaft and a pool of lube sits on top of the first bearing at the top hat of the Z where the flex shaft inserts. Removing the 2 screws will allow you to view the bearing. I found a rusty mix of oil on top of my bearing from the flex shaft housing.

I have 2 machines, one has a new Spindle and the other a worn spindle. Side by side.... The new Spindle sounds like a 3/8 drill cutting, the worn one sounds like a ROUTER.....

Bearings make all the difference.....

AL

There is a plastic retainer missing in picture 1 that evenly spaces the bearings.