PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong?

dougmsbbs
02-01-2008, 06:09 PM
I lost some teeth on the X axis gears. I got the replacement today, and installed it. Now the CW is not measuring the length of the board correctly. I tried it on several boards, and it's always reading undersize. It finds the ends okay, it just reports a incorrect length.
When I check the sensors, it shows a changing value, so I don't think it's the sensor. I tried to calibrate, but after about five minutes of cutting it's slot, it stops and tells me to check the board sensor.
What did I not get correct when I installed the new gear? I'm missing something, but I'm at a loss as to what...

John
02-01-2008, 06:25 PM
part #99. This used to be called a shock absorber, I think. Now called a damper.

http://carvewright.com/downloads/parts_list_manual.pdf

dougmsbbs
02-01-2008, 06:47 PM
When the machine went down, I found that part had fallen through the center slot in the bottom of the machine. I put it back where I thought it should go, looking at the exploded parts list.
Maybe I got it in the wrong place? I can't tell from the drwaing exactly where it should go. Any hints?

Okay, I just went back and looked. Does it just stand up on top of the one screw?

Digitalwoodshop
02-01-2008, 07:13 PM
It's all about the brass roller.... Contact with the board..... Do a sensor check and roll the roller checking the count. Also make sure it contact the board and has the O ring on the brass roller.

Did you clean all the broken pins from the other gears. You might have another broken gear...

Are the sand paper rollers seated all the way, screws tight.... ?

Masking tape on the board at the brass roller contact. Hard or smooth boards could cause slipping of the brass roller causing measuring errors.

Let us know what you find.

AL

dougmsbbs
02-01-2008, 07:30 PM
That small damper was it. I set it up on that one screw, and the machine is cutting right now.
Thanks for the help, guys! Due to a trip back to Texas over the holidays, and the gear, I have less than 20 minutes carve time since Christmas. I've been looking forward to hearing it so bad, my heart about jumped out of my chest when I got it back together and it didn't work. Whew!