PDA

View Full Version : Tear Out

hetzerguitars
02-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I am trying to route simple things like the letter e. And I am getting tear out. With either the 1/16 bit and the 1/8" These are not small. In fact they are about 1" in height. No matter what I do at any depth the pieces are missing.

I am using a hard wood Hard Maple. Because that would hold the pieces better at least it works that way in normal routing.

Ideas?

- Jim

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-01-2008, 06:22 PM
I had the same problem until i upgraded to centerline. Im not trying to sell centerline for them, actually i hated to shell out the extra money but to end all my text worries it was worth it. When making small text with raster it seems like a gamble to me. I tried just about everything with small raster letters and finally broke down and bought centerline and am happy with the results. I now only use raster with large letters and draft. Maybe someone else can give you a better answer but thats my take.

hotpop
02-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Selecting a broader font might help.

If you dampen the surface of the wood it may prevent the splitting around the "e's"

The "DH"
02-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Since I got centerline thats what I use 99% of the time!!! When I use raster I'm usually only cutting the letters at a height setting of 20 or 30 with good results..