PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector or Shop Vac

FINGERS
01-31-2008, 09:14 PM
I looking to add a downdraft system to my Baby, I Jimmyed my machine on a Midersaw stand and I have a 2" clearing between the machine and the stand so I made a duct to fit over the opening under the machine using RTV to hold it in place and seal any air leeks and hopefully isolating the duct from the machine so there is no static discharge with a 1.75" fitting on one side for a vac hookup, I have a 5.5 HP shop-vac hooked up to it and it looks good but it doesn't suck to good, my question to all you Pros is does a dust collector have more suction then a shop-vac.

pkunk
01-31-2008, 09:52 PM
Your shop vac will move about 175 CFM of air at best with a new clean filter. A small dust collector is around 500 cfm. My DC moves about 1800 CFM. What moves more air (and dust)? A shop vac on the other hand has a greater suction lift. I can't vacuum the floor good with my DC.

FINGERS
01-31-2008, 10:36 PM
Thank's pkunk the shop vac is not the way to go I see, I'm lookin at a 2hp DC at harbor freight under $200, so the way to go is with a DC hook-up, I should still be abel to use the duct I made with a reducer for 4" DC hose, want do you think.

Ken Massingale
02-01-2008, 04:43 AM
The HF DC works fine for the price. You'll want to consider getting replacement 1 micron bags, the original ones are 30 micron and the fines go though back into the shop air. Grizzly.com has the 1 m ones that fit the HF.
ken

pkunk
02-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Thank's pkunk the shop vac is not the way to go I see, I'm lookin at a 2hp DC at harbor freight under $200, so the way to go is with a DC hook-up, I should still be abel to use the duct I made with a reducer for 4" DC hose, want do you think.
If I understand you - Go back to 4". DC's are not designed to be necked down. They work much better with large diameter ducting. I run 6" mains in my shop with some machines reduced to 4" at the machine.

pkunk
02-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Now, If you all really want just a shop vac, open your wallets and get this one. Even has a cyclone built in. :D http://store.oneida-air.com/item.asp?cID=0&PID=794

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
02-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Yes a dust collector does have more suction than a shop vac depending upon the number of cfg. Also take into consideration the dynamics of a dust collector over a vac and take into account your potential if you want to hook into other machines either now or in the future.