PDA

View Full Version : suggestions for better carvings

Dan-Woodman
01-31-2008, 09:03 PM
Hey everyone
I was cutting another serving tray , and thought I would pass on a few tips.
When I designed the cutout areas for this project, I selected --carve region--then created another path exactly on top of the carve region for the 1/2" roundnose bit to roundover the bottom edge of the carve region like the first serving tray I posted a while back.
This time I thought I would put a 1/8" feather around the carve region,to reduce the amount of material the 1/2" roundnose would remove . Well it did't work.
As you can see in the 1st photo the feather started at the edge of the carve region and went in. The edge of this region is the path line I created for it.
Now the 1/2" roundnose I applied, was centered on this path also,but by having an 1/8" feather on the carve region , it left a ridge on the inside of the 1/2" roundnose cut, cutting 1/4" on the outside of the carve region as it was supposed to.

Now for the tips

If you make something like this , put the feather to none.
This is a perfect example of --what you see in designer is what you get--

Another problem I had carving this one was about three percent into the carving ,it stopped and said --project unreadable (9).
The little carving on the end was done ,and it was about 3/4" into the carve regions, when this happened.
I went back into designer , deleted the little carving on the end ,deleted the carved areas on the back and started it up again. Everything went fine this time.

Now for the tip

When you make projects with mirror images,make your origanals to the right side of your project in designer,and then mirror from there. the cw starts carving on the left as viewed in designer. That way if you do have to abort your project you can delete some mirror images already carved to the left, and start from there.
If you delete an origanal it deletes the mirrored as well.

sorry for the long post,but I hope it will help some newbes.
later Daniel

sorry , I got my mpc's backward

The "DH"
02-01-2008, 05:02 AM
Dan thanks for the files and tips are always a welcome sight!!!!

Virginia Beach Carver
02-02-2008, 07:46 AM
I am always glad to learn more about the methods that people use to make such fine looking projects. Thanks again, Jim