PDA

View Full Version : Changing Quick Change Assembly

oclatta
01-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Received replacement Quick Change Assembly and factory tools yesterday. Used hair dryer to heat up old one. Have bruised palms of hands and strained muscles in neck and back trying to remove old one. No luck. Have called and e-mailed support this morning on instructions on where and how to return machine to let factory change it. No answer yet. Have had machine for four weeks. Have been able to use it for two of those. Just want answers and help.

DocWheeler
01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
oclatta,

If you had access to a heat gun I am sure you would not have tried the hair dryer. But, I do not think that the hair dryer would get the thread-lock compound hot enough if it was applied correctly.

Without sufficient heat, you will just have to continue trying to talk with someone at LHR. Sorry that you are having problems.

oclatta
01-31-2008, 05:41 PM
Took your advice. Borrowed a heat gun. Heated it up until the plastic cap was about to melt. Used small quick motions as suggested by LHR. The ground down allen wrench that LHR furnished broke off in the flex shaft hole.

I need LHR/CarveWright to contact me with return instructions.

rjustice
01-31-2008, 06:12 PM
oclatta,

I make tools that make this much easier. The thin wrench I make supports its self so you can use both hands to turn a square tool that fits exactly into the spindle. Step by step instructions are also included to help.
You really want to be careful using a ground off allen wrench, it can damage the square hole inside the spindle, and in turn can ruin the end of the flex shaft as well...

If you are interested you can email me by clicking the below address and i will send you pictures, prices, and descriptions of all of my products...

CW_Parts@yahoo.com

Good luck, and Happy carving,

Ron

ruggybear
01-31-2008, 09:05 PM
Ron's tools are the best investment I have made to support my machine and the price is reasonable.

The "DH"
02-01-2008, 04:57 AM
I've done this job without the right tools and it took over three hours... Strongly recommend Ron's tools..

sgwillis
02-01-2008, 03:00 PM
I agree with "The DH" and Ruggybear. I had a chuck that was broken when I got the new unit. LHR sent me a replacement no questions asked but when I tried to use makeshift tools that they had in their instructions I had trouble and ordered Ron's tools. They came in yesterday and I changed the chuck this morning with only a little trouble and had to heat it up with a heat gun, but got the job done.

Thanks for the quick turnaround on my order Ron.

Scott

rjustice
02-02-2008, 08:29 AM
Guys,
Thanks for the feedback on the tools. It took a lot of R&D to get to the point of having the tools the right hardness so they wouldnt shatter from being too "brittle", but yet "tough" enough that they wouldnt just twist off either. It is nice to know that they are helping everyone out!

Happy Carving!

oclatta
02-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Thanks everyone. I Finally got enough heat and enough leverage and got the old Quick Change Adapter off and the new one on. Before I do that job again I will order Ron's tools. They have to make it easier than what I went through.

liquidguitars
02-02-2008, 08:04 PM
"Thanks to the gods of quickchange and glue"

Just one drop of locktight blue on the QC will be good to hold it after replacement...

LG

Fire_N_Water
02-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Hold it guys....am I assuming that you're applying heat with the truck still installed in the machine?? Isn't that a little hazardous to belts, etc? I just broke my quick change...not sure how...but thought I would look here before contacting CW.

Dave

rjustice
02-06-2008, 06:41 PM
Dave,
Not sure how eveyone missed your post, but sorry for the late reply. Yes you can use a heat gun. Just crank up the head most of the way, to get away from the sandpaper belts, and dont apply the heat to anything but the black QC chuck.
Whatever you do.... DO NOT try using a torch or lighter. Most people have used a lube of some sort on the bit adapters, and/or the QC... it WILL catch fire, and ruin your day (best case scenario)... Worst case, burn down your garage/building..
It doesnt take a lot of heat, so use it sparingly so you dont cook the grease out of your lower spindle bearing either.
The right tools really do make all the difference, and again very detailed instructions are included with the tools.

Hope this helps...

Ron