PDA

View Full Version : Height Setting and Carve Time

Ken Massingale
01-30-2008, 09:30 AM
I can't find the answer to this in the Help file.

I see that the Height setting has a big impact on the carve time. I have a project with 2 bass fish about 2" in size each. I set their depth to .400 and height to 500 and the carve time is ~38 minutes. If I change just the Height to 999 the carve time goes to 1 hour.
I would appreciate an explanation of what the value 999 represents and what is the typical relationship between depth and height for an object, please.
Thanks a bunch.
k

mtylerfl
01-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I can't find the answer to this in the Help file.

I see that the Height setting has a big impact on the carve time. I have a project with 2 bass fish about 2" in size each. I set their depth to .400 and height to 500 and the carve time is ~38 minutes. If I change just the Height to 999 the carve time goes to 1 hour.
I would appreciate an explanation of what the value 999 represents and what is the typical relationship between depth and height for an object, please.
Thanks a bunch.
k

Hello Ken,

I never noticed a relationship between the height setting and carve time. Interesting, but I have no idea why that's happening, unless it generates a whole bunch more number crunching in the file. When you use the "999" figure, it just means that the carve will be made at the maximum height possible within the depth value you set.

Here is a more detailed discussion on height/depth relationship...
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41366&postcount=13

To be honest, I don't worry about it too much. I make my settings for what looks good and pretty much just goof around with the settings until I find what's suitable for the design (especially when layering). Not very scientific, but it works for me.;)

twehr
01-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Total carve time is a function of the total distance the cutter has to move. That includes x (board movement), y (forward/back), and z (up/down) travel. Therefore, a greater distance between the deepest cut and the highest cut will increase the travel length and, thus, the overall time.

In other words, length and width are major factors, but for any given size, the more intricate the design, including the overall height of the resultant carved area, the longer it takes.

Ken Massingale
01-30-2008, 02:17 PM
Thanks Michael and twehr. i understand better now.
k