PDA

View Full Version : need new reader?

Semper Fi
01-30-2008, 05:39 AM
I think my card reader took a dive. The computer sees the reader and the green light is on. When I try to access the card, the red light barely lights, then I get the error message the "Card reader could not be ititialized". I've taken the card in and out several times and reinstalled it in my machine to see if it still works there........... it does. I've carved from it just to be sure. I've got a new reader ordered and on its way, but can anyone think of something I've missed, in the mean time? I'm kinda dead in the water right now. Maybe I should have ordered a spare card too? I didn't because it worked ok in my machine.

Ernie

eromran
01-30-2008, 09:28 AM
I think my card reader took a dive. The computer sees the reader and the green light is on. When I try to access the card, the red light barely lights, then I get the error message the "Card reader could not be ititialized". I've taken the card in and out several times and reinstalled it in my machine to see if it still works there........... it does. I've carved from it just to be sure. I've got a new reader ordered and on its way, but can anyone think of something I've missed, in the mean time? I'm kinda dead in the water right now. Maybe I should have ordered a spare card too? I didn't because it worked ok in my machine.

Ernie
There is a card reader plus extras on ebay now. But a course you have to mess with waiting around.

dougmsbbs
01-30-2008, 10:58 AM
All I can think of is try to plug it into a different port on your computer. It's powered by the computer, and maybe you have a bad port. ..

Semper Fi
01-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Thanks,Doug, but I did try that............ same results. Eromran, I already have one coming from LHR, but if there was a way to get back up that I missed, I'd just keep the new one for a spare. For the first time I didn't have any project loaded to the card that I didn't carve yet. I'm thinking maybe I should get a spare card also.

ChrisAlb
01-30-2008, 04:05 PM
See if you can get the reader to read with the Flash Manager on the file menu. Or do you have no access at all?

Semper Fi
02-01-2008, 05:49 AM
Actually that is what I tried to do when the problem showed up. I wanted to go to 1.126. Thanks anyhow.

Semper Fi
02-04-2008, 05:52 PM
Finally got my reader tonight................ problem is fixed!

Ernie

Semper Fi
03-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Update: 2/23 and my new card reader took a powder. I think a call to LHR is in order. I would hope the life of these things should be more than 60 days. Anybody else having reader problems?

Semper Fi
03-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Before I called LHR, I unplugged the reader and tried another usb port............ it worked! Went back to the old port and it worked there also. I know I unplugged and reseated the reader last night, but maybe I was having a "senior moment"? Sorry for the extrenious post. I'm going to watch this thing a little closer.

Jeff_Birt
03-24-2008, 08:09 AM
That sounds a bit like a problem I had with my last computers USB ports. I could fire up Designer and write to the card, but if I removed the card with Designer open then I could not access it again unless I switched ports (sometimes that would work) or shut Designer down and restarted it. I then tried the USB ports from an add-on PCI card I had installed and never had any more troubles. The same built in USB ports also were flaky with and external USB hard-drive as I found out later. Anyhow, sometimes the PC manufacturers don't get the USB ports right...

ChrisAlb
03-24-2008, 08:37 AM
A question.... Are you guys running Vista?

I belong to several computer tech forums and USB ports under Vista is a common thread in all of them. In a nutshell, the scope of discussion is mostly about Vista's lack of recognizing USB devices when hot plugging.

Most folks have found that, as long you Boot Vista with a USB plugged in it's fine. But after either using the port or unplugging the USB and plugging it back in with Vista running, they have problems. It also appears that the type of USB device doesn't make much difference so it's not the CW card reader. I've read reports of everything from headsets & digital cameras to external USB drives with the same results.

That's just one of many reasons I stick with XP Pro. For me, there are just too many issues with Vista at this time.

Just a thought.

pkunk
03-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Chris, I use Vista on my laptop and have no USB problems. I'd think it's more of a machine issue.

Jeff_Birt
03-24-2008, 09:23 AM
I've also had ZERO issues with Vista.

ChrisAlb
03-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Hey Paul,

It could very well be a machine issue. I was just raising the possibility and not saying that's it for sure.

A lot of the folks in the tech forums are pretty darn savvy and from what I've read at least, it seems to be an issue across many makes and models of systems both desktop and laptop.

How do you like Vista in other areas? Does it run stable for you?

I've never run or tested it myself. I'm the type that when I find something that works I stick with it. So far XP Pro has been the most reliable "Windows" OS made. As long as it continues to be stable, I see no need to change. I gave up on staying on the cutting edge of technology years ago. Too fast, too expensive...lol

Hawg_man
03-24-2008, 12:28 PM
I have Vista on both my laptop and Desktop and plug and unplug my Carvewright Reader, Camera, Flash reader, etc. all the time without issues. For my money Vista has been the most stable OS since I've been using Computers (1983).

BOB

Ken Massingale
03-24-2008, 01:34 PM
I have Vista on both my laptop and Desktop and plug and unplug my Carvewright Reader, Camera, Flash reader, etc. all the time without issues. For my money Vista has been the most stable OS since I've been using Computers (1983).

BOB
Same here, Bob. It's even better with the new SP1.
IIRC, Vista does have USB ports defaulted to go to sleep, which causes issues for some devices if they are attached to a live port that takes a nap.
ken

pkunk
03-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Hey Paul,

It could very well be a machine issue. I was just raising the possibility and not saying that's it for sure.

A lot of the folks in the tech forums are pretty darn savvy and from what I've read at least, it seems to be an issue across many makes and models of systems both desktop and laptop.

How do you like Vista in other areas? Does it run stable for you?

I've never run or tested it myself. I'm the type that when I find something that works I stick with it. So far XP Pro has been the most reliable "Windows" OS made. As long as it continues to be stable, I see no need to change. I gave up on staying on the cutting edge of technology years ago. Too fast, too expensive...lol
Chris, I'm not really a 'Windoz' guy, but it's not given me any problems (as long as I remember to plug it in occasionly) & it hasn't crashed yet. I don't surf with it much, & only really use it for Windows only software like some cabinet design programs, and sometimes Designer. I take it on the road in the motorhome to use MS 'Streets & trips" so hopefully I'll know where I am.;):D:D