PDA

View Full Version : Board Sensor and Color of Wood

zeke
01-29-2008, 04:54 PM
Do you know if the board sensor works better with lighter or darker color materials?

hotpop
01-29-2008, 05:33 PM
zeke

If the sensor won't pick up the ends of dark wood, put a piece of masking tape on the ends of the board. If necesary you may need a piece down the middle of it's length.

I don't leave the tape on the middle in the cutting area because it leaves a gum deposit on the bits. After the machine is done measuring it prompts for your bits. When the cover is open for bit insertions I remove the middle tape.

zeke
01-29-2008, 08:45 PM
Hotpop, when you are prompted for installing the bit are you actually raising the top up and lifting the rollers off the wood to remove the tape?

hotpop
01-30-2008, 08:40 AM
No, I just pull off what I can. I can usually get most of it off except that under the rear roller. After the machine is cutting a little while I'll open the cover and get the rest off.

GrooveDog
01-30-2008, 07:05 PM
I've carved black painter boards, I just used friskit paper and covered the whole board. It never gummed up the bits. It did make a little mess, but nothing a vac wouldn't clean up....

deemon328
01-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I actually had a problem today with a tiny gap between my tape. I had a 3" wide board and taped it with 1 1/2" blue painters tape. The tiny gap that was left in the middle was enough to throw the board sensor off. Once I taped it down the middle, everything read fine.

Moral: make sure the center is taped next time.

hotpop
01-30-2008, 09:14 PM
GrooveDog

Thanks for the friskit paper tip.

PS: That's got to be the ugliest bird I ever saw, but it's cool. Would you mind sharing it?