PDA

View Full Version : too rough

denny
01-27-2008, 05:19 PM
I did my first project setting at best, 1/16 bit but the final project wass still a lot rougher than I had hoped. I used my die grinder to get in the tight spots as well as smooth it a bit [about the same as 80 grit], what else is there to use? I would like something at least 120 or150 grit, the only thing I am using now is sandpaper folded to make corners but this is tough to do in small areas. Other than that it turned out great, also does the type of wood turn out different, my first was cherry, next is morado [Bolivan rosewood].

ChrisAlb
01-27-2008, 05:50 PM
I did my first project setting at best, 1/16 bit but the final project wass still a lot rougher than I had hoped. I used my die grinder to get in the tight spots as well as smooth it a bit [about the same as 80 grit], what else is there to use? I would like something at least 120 or150 grit, the only thing I am using now is sandpaper folded to make corners but this is tough to do in small areas. Other than that it turned out great, also does the type of wood turn out different, my first was cherry, next is morado [Bolivan rosewood].

Hi denny,

I use an adjustable speed Dremel with a wire wheel for most of my sanding. It removes the fuzzys and also removes wood. I've shaped many a design this way. Very little touch up afterward.

hotpop
01-27-2008, 05:51 PM
denny

Cherry is an excellent choice for carving. I don't know about the rosewood, I haven't tried any. I would think it would also be a good choice. As far as sanding goes I like using 180 and 200 grit sanding sponges. I also use my Dremal tool with an assortment of tips.

I just ordered a 180 grit sanding mop to try out. It was recommended by another forum member.

Good Luck on you next project.