PDA

View Full Version : Machine working...but now I've got oblong holes!

LarryLesniak
01-26-2008, 04:25 PM
My machine is running now (see "DOA" thread below) and I'm attempting to drill a long series of 1/8" holes centered on a 2 1/4" wide board 64" long. I'm using Designer 1.125 and the holes are spaced on 1 inch centers starting 1 5/16" from one end. I'm using the 1/8" cutting bit and the holes end up oblong along the axis of board travel (i.e. elongated along the length of the board). I've searched the forum and found that I'm not the first user to have this problem. I also tried the solutions mentioned: I planed and sanded the board to insure flatness, I added a strip of masking tape to the bottom of the board on the "brass roller" side to insure contact with the sensors, there's no apparent play in the feed belt mechanism, and I checked the bit and chuck but I'm still getting significantly oblong holes. I'm using roller stands on both sides of the machine to support the stock especially since I'm answering "No" to the "Keep under rollers?" question. Are there any other potential solutions? I'm really hoping to use my machine to drill all of these holes (4 boards worth!) so I don't have to do them on my drill press.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Larry

Digitalwoodshop
01-27-2008, 07:46 PM
Looks like you are doing all the right things. A 64 inch board is heavy. To check the software and brass roller I would cut a short test board just to check the equipment.

Could be the weight....

AL

deemon328
01-27-2008, 07:51 PM
Have you calibrated your CW with the 3/8" bit? It sounds like you're doing everything else really well. Calibration has done wonders for my machines output quality.