PDA

View Full Version : stumped on first base

myshop1044
01-25-2008, 06:39 PM
I am tring to cut a 3 dia circle in the center of a board (18" x 11")and no matter what I do it comes out 2 1/4", I have rechecked the dwg twice. Is there some scaling problem that I'm not aware of.
need some help.
secong question, I cut a rectangle region 3.5" X 3" and it came out about a 1/16" too big all around, how can I adjust this in the dwg to make a better fit?
Is there some rule of thump?

Bubbabear
01-25-2008, 06:41 PM
can you post a copy of the ptn or mpc maybe someone can look and tell yon where to fix

pkunk
01-25-2008, 06:55 PM
Welcome. First I'm going to move this to the Troubleshooting forum. Second, when you have a problem, post the mpc file that you're working on, the size of the actual piece of wood that you put into the machine, in addition to the problems you are experiencing. Then we might be able to help.:)

myshop1044
01-25-2008, 07:17 PM
fist ,where do I find the troubleshooting forum?
attached is the file

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
01-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Myshop the troubleshooting isnt actually a seperate forum. Its this same forum just a link within. Its right above this test space. Just click on troubleshooting and you can post or browse others. Its always been beneficial to me to browse through there and see what others solutions are to their problems...

hotpop
01-25-2008, 10:03 PM
I looked at your hole cut test file.

Your circle: You selected a region to cut out your circle. The only bit option is the carving bit. It will be a very slow process because it is going to machine out all the wood in the hole.

I inserted a circle on your board, then selected Cut Path icon. This allows you to cut out the circle with the cutting bit and will leave a slug in the middle of the circle attach with breakaway tabs. I set the tool depth the same as the board thickness. The CW will then leave the tabs if you set the depth deeper the you loose the tabs.

myshop1044
01-25-2008, 10:21 PM
thanks for the info, but I still can't get a 3 " circle to come out only a 2 1/4", is there a scaleing problem somewhere?

ChrisAlb
01-25-2008, 10:28 PM
thanks for the info, but I still can't get a 3 " circle to come out only a 2 1/4", is there a scaleing problem somewhere?

Hi myshop,

You wouldn't happen to be using the 3/8" bit are you? You should be using the 1/8" straight cut bit. I only ask because hotpops file should carve fine.

But here's yours with a 3" hole centered and a cut path applied. With the 1/8" bit, there should be no problem if all is working OK.

Chris

Old Salt
01-26-2008, 12:02 AM
On the cut out you can set it to cut inside line or outside outside will be 3" Inside line will be less it is a option on popup- cutout control - labled ( flip cut ) will make a diferance.

TIMCOSBY
01-26-2008, 03:54 AM
cut path option doesn't need a depth set to it.

ChrisAlb
01-26-2008, 06:36 AM
For a 3" hole you would cut "inside" which leaves a smaller than 3" plug.

For a 3" plug you would cut "outside" leaving a larger than 3" hole.

hotpop
01-26-2008, 08:41 AM
TIMCOSBY

cut path option doesn't need a depth set to it.

Your right I forgot about that. I was falling asleep last night when I responded to the post.

hotpop
01-26-2008, 08:54 AM
myshop1044

I still can't get a 3 " circle to come out only a 2 1/4", is there a scaleing problem somewhere?

The answer is yes. The scaling is not happening in the Designer program but at the machine. If your actual board width is smaller then the board width you selected in Designer then the machine will prompt you to scale the project. If so select "No" and the inside circle will 3".

If you select the scaling option at the machine you don't know what you are going to end up with.

Digitalwoodshop
01-26-2008, 04:19 PM
I got a little carried away and made up a Sample Cut Board using the 3/8 inch bit. Making little rectangles starting with just a 3/8 and increased the width in increments to show the real world size. This helps quickly pick the size I need when making artwork or having the machine do inlay cuts. It gets me in the ball park.

The idea does have it's flaws as Humidity has an effect on my sample board making it bigger or smaller with the changes. I did not do calibration of my machine before cutting this so the sizes could be different between machines, I have 2.

With your board being small, any chance you are getting the "Scale Board to Fit" because of the 3.5 inches on each end for rollers? That will shrink your circle. Just a thought? With only 3 post's this could be the problem.....

A sample board of Circles would be right up your alley just cutting them .020 deep would do.....

Good Luck,

AL