PDA

View Full Version : Brand New User - Z axis stall out of the box

mostlycold
01-25-2008, 04:05 PM
I have extensively read the forums but almost all refer to this problem as a maintenance/cleaning issue. I have this error code an the machine has not yet cut its first board? One thing that did seem different was the LED display read "downloading debug information" on the last failure. Sounded like maybe it was the new software or firmware I updated last night? Where I am in the process, board is in the machine (flat & square), the default menu is at measure workpiece, I go through all the jogging for start and finish corners (all works fine) and then when I hit enter, the machine starts auto measuring the workpiece. Right after that starts, the machine stops with a Z axis stall error. By the way (from the other post) I did this the first time without a bit in the machine and it never asked me to install one, it just roled back to the begining of the default menu.

I am just trying to do some basic woodworking cuts (not carving or loading programs yet). Doesn't seem like there is anything to clean inside - it's new and spotless?

Thanx,
Dan

HighTechOkie
01-25-2008, 05:12 PM
From the machine's keypad: touch 7 Options, and scroll down to the board sensor. When the cutting head is over a board, it should read around 150. Also, you might blow off the board sensor located on the underside of the cutting head.

Rob

mostlycold
01-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanx Rob,

I just got off the phone with LHR Tech support and he had me punch in a series of numbers on the keypad when I powered up. Turns out the error did have something to do with the firmware upgrade. Just after we straightened that out, I got a rear roller stuck code trying to measure the board....... So, I have several things to do to try and correct that problem next.

Dan

mostlycold
01-25-2008, 06:58 PM
I have tried to get the roller error to subside with air and cleaning but with no luck. I did notice that when cranking the head all the way down till the clutch engaged with 5 clicks seemed to be flexing the board real bad. When I heard the first click, I backed off the crank about 1/4 - 1/2 turn and everything started working. Tonite I will purchase a scale and then verify the pressure. If too much, I will probably need someones help getting the pressure adjusted.

Thanx for the great folks on this forum,
Dan

Bubbabear
01-25-2008, 07:10 PM
is the shop temp 55f or higher

mostlycold
01-25-2008, 07:18 PM
Yes - it is attached to house and I've had it at 65 all day. Never set below 60 (7x24)

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
01-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Mostly Cold ive experienced some of the same problems. For the roller thats stuck try pulling up on it and letting go to see if you can get the switch unstuck. I had to do that with mine fresh out of the box and never had a problem with it again. On the Z axis stall try undoing and refastening your flexshaft. Make sure it is all the way snapped in to the z truck. Not saying any of this will work towards your situation but its an option thats worked for me before. Don't give up your problems are resolvable.

mostlycold
01-25-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanx TwinPeaks,

The Z axis problem was solved, it was caused by the firmware upgrade I did last night. The roller problem is the one I have now, so I'll try your suggestion and see if that helps. I know backing off the glutch pressure probably isn't a great idea but that has worked for the moment.

Dan

pkunk
01-25-2008, 09:38 PM
You might peruse all the troubleshooting PDF's and bone up on the forum some. There's lots of info here already discussed. Sounds like your clutch could use some lube.
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2073