PDA

View Full Version : Question On Nov. Newsletter Tutorial

Ken Massingale
01-25-2008, 11:20 AM
While waiting on our machine I'm doing a lot of studying to be somewhat prepared.
In the Nov. 07 T&T for the trivet, the opening description of the project stated that the included 1/16" carving bit and the 1/8" cutting bit are used. However on Page 3, Step 4 it stated to select the 1/8" bullnose bit in Designer.
What's the deal with this? I suspect it's to make the machine think it's using a bit that it's not really using to achieve some effect, but I'd like to know why so as to understand better.
Thanks
ken

larry711
01-26-2008, 07:02 AM
i saw the same thing and have the same question . but havent seen any answers yet have you?

Ken Massingale
01-26-2008, 12:25 PM
i saw the same thing and have the same question . but havent seen any answers yet have you?
Nope, I must have BO or bad breath. No one wants to help! ;-)

fwharris
01-26-2008, 12:31 PM
Ken and Larry,

I believe they are the same, 1/8 carving and 1/8 ball nose. You might also try to get Jeff Bert's attention or do a private message to him.

mtylerfl
01-28-2008, 02:43 PM
Hello,

The reason I specified the 1/8" ballnose, is that someday, we MAY actually have a 1/8" ballnose bit. That way the design doesn't have to be altered in any fashion for "when that day comes".

In the meantime, the 1/8" cutting bit can be considered a 'synonym' for the 1/8" ballnose (NOT a 1/8" carving - there's no such thing) .

No problem, just follow the directions and all will be well.

PS - I could have specified the 1/8" straight instead, but like I said, if a 1/8" ballnose becomes available, then that's the intended bit, to give a "rounded" bottom

Ken Massingale
01-30-2008, 09:40 AM
Thanks Michael. I appreciate the explanation.
BTW, the Deer and Bass patterns I purchased from Carvebuddy yesterday are working great and have already paid for themselves. I'll be back soon for some horses, looks like. ;-)
ken

mtylerfl
01-30-2008, 10:20 AM
Thanks Michael. I appreciate the explanation.
BTW, the Deer and Bass patterns I purchased from Carvebuddy yesterday are working great and have already paid for themselves. I'll be back soon for some horses, looks like. ;-)
ken

Hello Ken,

Thank you very much! Glad you are enjoying the patterns. Let me know if you need anything. Always happy to help.

Ken Massingale
01-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Hello Ken,

Thank you very much! Glad you are enjoying the patterns. Let me know if you need anything. Always happy to help.
Well, when you have time could you have a peek at this question, please?

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=5927
Thanks