PDA

View Full Version : Jan '08 Tips & Tricks

fwharris
01-25-2008, 01:05 AM
:)Michael and Jeff,

Great job on this month's Tips & Tricks.

As a newbee to the CW I found the project step by step instructions well written and good explanations of the steps. After I opened the project and saw how close it would cut to side of the board I had to go back to the article for another look.
How much was left after the cutout? I guess I do things a little differently now. Michael must have some teaching backgound!

Jeff's article on the cleaning does only take about 20 min. to complete. I actually do just about the same routine that Jeff lists and it sure makes starting up a lot quicker..Just one comment on the bit plate. I was at the Denver WoodWorking show this last fall and I talked with one of the guys there about it and he said to shoot it with WD40!! I would not recommend this. I tried it and sure it worked great for a while. After the saw dust set in the sure was a mess to clean up.

Enjoy both of Michael's and Jeff's post in the forum. Have not found one that was off with their advice and they will even expain further if we do not get it the first time..Great help to us that are new to the CW and what it can do..

Great Job and thanks

Jeff_Birt
01-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Gosh<blush>, glad you like the article. I also have enjoyed Micheal's how to guides; this month I like how he used a surface to carve the pencil slot rather than a bull nose bit. Just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

WD-40 is great for many things. It penetrates very well and can really loosen up oxidized parts. It has a pretty light base and tends not to stay around too long. Not to mention, as you discovered, it will attract sawdust like crazy.

mtylerfl
01-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Hello,

Thank you very much for the kind words and encouragement. I'm glad you enjoyed the newsletter!

I also want to thank Jeff Birt publicly for the fantastic tips he outlined to help us in maintaining our machines. He does so much to enhance our CarveWright/CompuCarve experience (most of his helpful efforts take place in the background - things folks will never see or fully understand). He is truly an advocate for us all. Thanks Jeff!

Gary Koval
01-25-2008, 02:39 PM
I don't say much very often, cause usually by the time I have a response, it's already been answered with a much more intelligent answer than I could respond with. Anyway, my hats off to both Michael and Jeff for the great tips this month, and the help and opinions they both share in this forum on a daily basis.
Gary

DON FIELDS
01-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Michael and Jeff,
I too want to say "good job". These articles are invaluable to us. I would like to comment on the 'bit plate' issue. Some months ago, when I was having serious problems with the bit plate, someone on the forum suggested that the bit plate did NOT have to swing in and out to meet the bit. Let me clarify that statement----if the bit plate were to remain in its extended position, and the bit found its target, there would be no need to have it move in and out. I glued my bit plate in the extended position at that time and have had NO problems with this issue since. Problem solved. Just thought I would pass this info along.