PDA

View Full Version : MDF, Should You or Shouldn't You?

WoodyMcSander
01-23-2008, 11:55 AM
What is the feeling about using MDF?

I have not tried it, but know that it will usually shorten the life of metal cutting tools.

What have others experienced?

Kenm810
01-23-2008, 12:40 PM
I often use MDF for sample or practice stock for new carving patterns.
So far it hasn’t dulled or damaged any of my carving bits.
Please remember to be very careful with the MDF dust,
It’s very fine and gets into everything, also it has been written up as a health hazard,
So a good dust mask or respirator is a must.

deemon328
01-23-2008, 03:19 PM
A photo like that belongs in an ad spot in the major woodworking magazines!

oldjoe
01-24-2008, 11:35 AM
or the local Post Office LOL
Always a good idea to protect your lungs from hazardous dust and fumes if you are stripping paint or spraying chemicals.

tstryk
01-24-2008, 12:43 PM
OK I have to ask - is Woody McSander you REAL name????

Kenm810
01-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Never hurts to use a little Eye, Ear, and Dust protection around any shop Machinery,
and if you happen to forget to use a little blue Loc-Tite on our Bits -- Ya might want a Flak Jacket Too

David Myers
01-24-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm a nube with my CompuCarve and I'm learning a lot about the hardware and software, so I have been using MDF for all my practice carvings and it carves great and if you make a mistake it's not costly. My first carves were with walnut and the machine had problems and I sent it back for repairs after 4 hrs. of carve time. So what I have been doing is create a design cut it out in MDF fix any design/operator errors then I redo it in a nice wood.
MDF is a hazard to your health so wear a good dust mask.

David

WoodyMcSander
01-24-2008, 05:38 PM
WoodyMcSander is not my real name. I sell sandpaper used in the woodworking trades, so I thought the name was appropriate. If nothing else, the people in my turning club and circle of friends get a kick out of it.

swhitney
01-24-2008, 10:55 PM
WoodyMcSander is not my real name. I sell sandpaper used in the woodworking trades, so I thought the name was appropriate. If nothing else, the people in my turning club and circle of friends get a kick out of it.

Sounds like you should be helping "Smiling Bob" (of Enzyte fame)!!