PDA

View Full Version : bit placement on carve region question

deemon328
01-23-2008, 08:48 AM
When you create a carve region, say a rectangle in this example, does the software assume the 1/16" carving bit? Since you can't change the bit in the software, what happens if you change the bit to 1/8" straight at the machine when you're ready to carve the pattern? Do the carve region bounds stay the same or do they offset centered on the bounding box?

I'm having a heck of a time cutting an accurate 3/8" deep by 3/4" wide channel because I can't figure it out.

In the MPC, I'm assuming that the 1/8" carving bit will be centered on the bounding box, so that should mean I need to subtract .125" from the total width of the box to get an accurate .750" width. It doesn't look exactly right in the software, and I've had 4 inaccurate carves so far, so now I'm at a loss.

Thanks for any advice!

DrBob
01-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi deemon328
I beleave the carve region is automatic to the 1/16 carving bit so you cant choose any other.
You would have to not use the carve region and choose the 1/8 bit and do the math for the offset for the correct size
Bob

Dyna Rider
01-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Hi Dustin

I believe the machine asks in the menu during the step phase for Bit type. So set the wide that you want in the software. If you want a .750 wide slot, then set it for .750. If the machine does ask this question then it should make the adjustment for you.

Bill

HighTechOkie
01-23-2008, 10:02 AM
To set the bit used for carve regions:
From the menu bar - Edit>Board Settings>Pattern Bit tab
choices: 1/4" Ballnose
1/8" Ballnose
1/16" Ballnose
1/8" Straight

The bit will center on the bounding dimensions for a carve region. In your case, a 0.625" wide carve region will result in a finished size of 0.75" when using the 1/8" straight bit. If you zoom in tight and turn off Perspective View, you can place your mouse cursor at each edge to get a coordinate and do the math to double check it is correct.

Rob

deemon328
01-23-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks so much for the replies and verification.

Turning off perspective view makes things so much easier to see. I wasn't aware of it before now. Same with the bit setting in Board settings. Thanks so much. I'll let you know how it turns out.