PDA

View Full Version : Cold

connieg
01-23-2008, 03:32 AM
:confused:I've been "lurking" around the forum for a couple months now; one month as a true virgin, and the last month as a true owner of one of these fab machines. I can't find anywhere whether or not cold affects the Carvewright. My garage is unheated and yesterday the high was 3 above! Must I move the washer and dryer up into my living room and move the carvewright into the basement in order to carve? Not wanting to ruin it, I've left it sitting forlornly with no wood chips or sawdust on it!!!!

Wanting to get my hands dirty,
Connieg

IM2HAPPI
01-23-2008, 03:49 AM
You had several replys when you asked in the test forum. Didnt you see them ?

IM2HAPPI
01-23-2008, 03:59 AM
Im not awake yet or would of answered it again. Before I do I will mention test forum gets deleted ever so often so better to ask under here or troubleshooting. You cant run your machine in the cold because the lube is too cold and you risk overheating the machine. I doubt anything colder than 50 it would even run properly. The head probably would not even go up and down right cause of cold. You also have to worry about condensation on your machine in that cold of weather, its just not good on them so basement sounds like your last resort.

IM2HAPPI
01-23-2008, 04:06 AM
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-5735.html Found this in achives, heres your responces.

connieg
01-23-2008, 04:06 AM
No didn't see the answers to the test question, tho' I hunted all over for them. Will be moving the machine inside this week. (The hubby is ice fishing in northern Montana and will be none the wiser.) Thanks for your reply. What are we doing up at this hour?;)

IM2HAPPI
01-23-2008, 04:12 AM
This is MY time of the day lol. Not really Im hand feeding 1 puppy every 2 hrs. Ugh she takes 30 mins to eat so.......good time to read forum.

connieg
01-23-2008, 04:19 AM
I saw the post about the pups. Takes dedication to nurse one of them every 2 hours, but they are worth it, aren't they. I usually work 7p to 7a, to I don't sleep too well at this time of day either, but tonight I've been up trying to thaw out the pipes in my kitchen. I FINALLY HAVE WATER!!!

DH has a lot of work when he gets home....I'm gonna be in the basement carving my heart out. Thanks again for your replies.

And I read the old posts. I don't know why everyone thinks I think they are "grumpy old men"! From what I've seen, they're a caring and knowledgeable group.

IM2HAPPI
01-23-2008, 04:33 AM
I was responding to you about being yelled at for asking a question. In past some of our mods would get grumpy but they are doing much better at it as of late. Did you see the movie Grumpy Old Men ? What wasnt their to love about those 2 ? Walter & Jack.

rogone
01-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Will be moving the machine inside this week. )

Connieg, with your machine having got as cold as it did I recommend you wrap it as snugly as you can in plastic (like a large garbage bag) before you bring it in. Then allow it to warm up to room temperature before you unwrap it. If you don't do this the moisture in the air in your house (and a basement is usually even more moist) will condense out on the cold machine, including on all the internal electrical parts, just like it does on the glass of a cold drik (beer anybody) during the summer. By doing this you will prevent having problems later.