PDA

View Full Version : Dust Management for CW?

derrickmdale
01-23-2008, 01:46 AM
I was just wondering what you guys are doing as far as dust management goes. Certainly people are using this machine without a lot of dust I don't think that the vac attachment on the rear of the machine is sufficient. Has anyone played with attempting a wide "floor sweep" type of attachment near the front head closer to the bit (similar to a router table)

Or setting it on a modified downdraft platform with a "designed" air flow that will move the dust off the work piece and down through the center split?

What are your current methods and suggestions?

rengaw
01-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Hello and welcome!
If you do a search on "Dust control", you will find a wealth of info and pics...

Enjoy!

deemon328
01-23-2008, 04:54 AM
Yep, there are a few photos of mods available here on the forum.

I have a downdraft table hooked up to mine, but it doesn't do the job when I'm cutting 1/2" deep raster on 12" wide stock. A blower of some kind would really be handy for these jobs.

The port on the back is more of a muffler than a collection port.

Router-Jim
01-23-2008, 06:10 AM
And if you use a carrier board you can forget about using dust collection through the bottom.

hotpop
01-23-2008, 07:51 AM
I made a down draft but found it pretty useless. I cut three slots 1x12 through the bench and attached my 2hp. shop vacuum system. It's has great suction but I think it was a waste of time. I still need suck the dust out of the machine and off the work piece with my portable vacuum after every project.

Jeff_Birt
01-23-2008, 08:10 AM
As others have said using the search tool will provide lots of information. A downdraft will not eliminate the need to vacuum the machines inside after a project. It will eliminate all the fine particulate matter from becoming air born, which is much better for both the health of the machine and operator. Here is a link to get you started.

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3704&highlight=automatic+blast+thread