PDA

View Full Version : Flex Shaft Lub

leroy
01-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Looking for the best lub for the Flex Shaft. Also would like to know how to clean it before lubing.

pkunk
01-22-2008, 10:14 AM
http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2073

leroy
01-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Thanks plunk, that's what I needed. Do you think I should soak it in thinner or wash it to get out the old oil before using the new oil?

pkunk
01-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Thanks plunk, that's what I needed. Do you think I should soak it in thinner or wash it to get out the old oil before using the new oil?
no, just lube it.

leroy
01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks, I'll get-r-done!

upcedar
01-22-2008, 02:08 PM
leroy, what i do is take a 13 oz coffee thing, spray your gunk in, rap the flex shaft up and let it sit for 2 hours. then i use a clean one to let it dry for a while. i save the gunk then. Rick

PhotoProf
01-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Has anyone tried the shaft lubricant from the Foredom (flextool) people? Seems like this product might work very well since they use it on fairly high speed shaft equipment. It is reasonably priced and should hold up under the useage the carver demands.

gmalanoski
01-22-2008, 03:53 PM
At the woodshow last weekend in Indy, I spoke with Matt and he said it doesn't really matter, EXCEPT that the product must have moly in it. I had inquired about some motorcycle chain lube that I use on my bike and that was his suggestion. The moly apparently helps the lube penetrate to the inner core of the shaft. I'm sure this is probably documented somewhere, but thought I'd share anyway. :)

www.go3d.us
01-22-2008, 10:00 PM
I used Coastal Uniplex Premium Hi-Temp Grease. Dropping point exceeds 500F. I get them at my local advance auto parts.

HT

Jeff_Birt
01-23-2008, 12:11 AM
I spoke with Matt and he said it doesn't really matter, EXCEPT

That is one of the stupidest things I think anyone from any manufacturer could say. You have to stop and consider that CW expended a lot of time and effort to find the best lubricant as evidenced by there own PDF on how to properly lube the flex shaft.....

After extensive research, consultation with flexshaft and lubrication experts, and testing

Any type of grease will take a good deal of heat to liquefy enough to flow properly. A high-temp grease will need to get much hotter to attain the same viscosity, that is why it is a hi-temp grease. If LHR found that white lithium grease would not penetrate the layers of cable properly a heavier grease sure isn't going to do the job.

Having someone (from the mfg yet) recommend ANY type of lube as long as it contains molybdenum is just silly. Perhaps he said (or meant) 'any similar type of penetrating lubricant with moly.'

Please folks read what LHR has written on this subject and understand why they are recommending the type of lubricant they are. I really hate to see people risking damage to their machines. I've copied the LHR's comments about the lube below.

Please read the following technical note carefully and perform the recommended flexshaft lubrication.

We have encountered several instances of the flexshaft in the CarveWright machine heating up. After extensive research, consultation with flexshaft and lubrication experts, and testing we believe that the main cause of this heating is due to the lack of lubricant penetration into the flexshaft core. The flexshaft construction consists of several layers of tightly wound springs around a solid wire core. These springs are wound in alternating directions to maintain the torsional stiffness. This layered construction provides the needed flexibility but also causes considerable internal frictional heating because the layers are rubbing against each other rapidly as the shaft spins at over 20,000 RPM. If there is not sufficient lubrication within this layered structure the flexshaft will heat up.

Up until this point we have been lubricating the shaft with a light coating of white lithium grease. While this works as needed in most cases, it appears that this grease takes some time to break down sufficiently to fully penetrate the shaft and in turn does not always provide the needed internal lubrication. We have been testing a wide range of other lubricants in order to find one better suited to the demands of the machine.
We have found that a penetrating lubricant containing solid molybdenum disulfide particles (moly) yields superior results. You can think of the moly particles as millions of tiny ball bearings. This lubricant is available at most Ace Hardware stores under the names of Liquid Wrench Industrial Chain Lube (with moly) and Gunk Industrial Chain Lube With Moly.

andes
01-24-2008, 07:45 PM
Hello,

My local ACE carries Luquid Wrench, but not the ver that CW ref's to the L716- IND Chain Lub, so any other idea's on were I can get this lube. I will continue to canvas the area and see if someone has it in my area has the item. All suggestions welcome.

Andes

Bubbabear
01-24-2008, 08:22 PM
check your auto parts stores or local harley shops

pkunk
01-24-2008, 08:29 PM
Just ask your local Ace hardware to order a can or 2. I'm in a town of 1,000 and it was no problem for them. Came in the next morning.

andes
01-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Is there anyway you could get the SKU on that product?

Andes

twinpeaksenterprises, LLC
01-27-2008, 09:15 PM
I live in the sticks and no one i mean no one carried any moly products but after visiting an ace hardware in the city 100 miles away i found liquid wrench with moly at ace hardware. I guess maybe it has something to do with demographics. Anyways if your local ace dont have it i guess you could request it and they could get it.

Dyna Rider
01-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Another product is called Dri-Slide, try your locale gun or bike shop, it contains Molybdenum Disulfide and fast-evaporating carrier solvent. You can also order it on line.

Bill

andes
01-28-2008, 08:44 AM
Ok, thanks

Andes