PDA

View Full Version : Centerline Depth Setting......

GrooveDog
01-20-2008, 08:56 AM
I was hoping they would find a fix for this because setting the depth for fonts is a bad thing.....only because you don't see the change on the screen....but here it is.....1) set your font on the board. 2) go and select no bit..then apply. 3)go back and select 90 or 60 and you'll notice the depth window in the bit screen becomes editable.The machine cut much better when you couldn't do this....I'm hoping by me posting this they will write a fix for it....I brought this up to the software guys about 2 months ago....Have fun but be forewarned this will mess up some nice 3 hour pieces at the end of the carve....

mtylerfl
01-20-2008, 03:03 PM
I was hoping they would find a fix for this because setting the depth for fonts is a bad thing.....only because you don't see the change on the screen....but here it is.....1) set your font on the board. 2) go and select no bit..then apply. 3)go back and select 90 or 60 and you'll notice the depth window in the bit screen becomes editable.The machine cut much better when you couldn't do this....I'm hoping by me posting this they will write a fix for it....I brought this up to the software guys about 2 months ago....Have fun but be forewarned this will mess up some nice 3 hour pieces at the end of the carve....

Hmmm...you mean the Centerline "depth trick" you outlined above actually carves at the depth you set, but does not show the representation on-screen? Weird. The onscreen display should interpret whatever you set and give you a fairly accurate visual representation.

You have actually done a carving yourself to verify this is the case, is that correct? I am particularly interested in exactly how it "messed up" any carvings you have tried this method on.

This trick could actually be useful for putting Centerline inside a recessed carve region if all that happens is that the bit is going "too deep" for normal surface Centerline, yet maintains correct relative depth for each individual letter (as in Serif or Script styles where the z height of the cutter is variable to maintain the letter design).

If it's messing up the carve in some other way (like garbled text or whatever) then we can probably just toss out the idea.

GrooveDog
01-20-2008, 05:31 PM
The way the center line text works is it's suppose to make it's own depth settings adjustments to what ever font you've picked (it varies)... it defaults at 90 deg I always like 60 for the finer point. Well I was doing a nice scroll font for some reason I hit no bit, apply, then went back and put it on 60 and never looked at the depth setting, (shouldn't have to, never did before) it defaults at .25 not real good for a scroll font. I was using about 5 different fonts in this one project, only this one I messed with. By the way this was just after 1.124 came out. Worked fine before that. So this font was the last to carve at the end of a 3hr project, when it was done it looked like a big blob carved a 1/4" deep.
when I figured it out it was ok, I set the depth to .08 or .09 and it was just ok. The machine seemed to cut it much smoother before I was able to adjust the depth. I could see it being useful in other apps. But they didn't know it did this. You should have heard the tech on the other end of the phone. when he did it. That was funny....

mtylerfl
01-20-2008, 06:44 PM
Hello GrooveDog,

Thank you very much for the explaination. Based on your description, I guess it did not retain the relative depth for the thin/thick portions of the lettering. Too bad, thought you may have stumbled upon an easy way to put Centerline in a carve region. Oh well!