PDA

View Full Version : Oblong drill holes

Lloyd
01-19-2008, 08:09 AM
I just tried to make a cribbage board, selected drill, 1/8 dia. and .5 inch deep. When it drilled the holes all of them were drilled oblong. I had the 1/8 inch cutting bit installed and it looked like it drilled each hole three times offsetting each drilling just a little bit producing an oblong hole. I search the forum for this and found one entry and that said this was supposed to be corrected in the near future (don't remember the date of the post). Does anyone know if this has been corrected. I now have a board witk 245 oblong holes, haven't figured out what to use it for now.

Ron
01-19-2008, 08:18 AM
does your wife have a strainer??
I did the same thing about a week ago the holes werent to bad but they didnt all carve in a line,some were off by an inch

Lloyd
01-19-2008, 08:55 AM
Good idea for a strainer.
All the holes wre placed right on the board they were just oblong. Maybe I could make oblong pegs to fit the holes.
I tried a test with the carving bit and it did the same thing. It didn't matter if the hole was .250 or .500 same results.

Eagle Hollow
01-19-2008, 09:05 AM
I had the same problem. Never did figure out why so did a new design that has warked fine for a half a dozen boards. Try running this and see if works for you.

Good Luck!
Jerry

The "DH"
01-19-2008, 09:25 AM
Here is a unique cribbage board design, I didn't have a problem with the holes.

Also here is a website where I purchased different size pegs;

http://www.puzzlemethis.com/cgi-bin/puzzle/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=Cribbage%20Games/op=eq.html?id=hUPVyoBu

Lloyd
01-19-2008, 10:07 AM
That's a very good design.
What version are you using, I'm using 1.125.

The "DH"
01-19-2008, 10:23 AM
I do projects in both v1.120 (save) then bring it into v1.125... This is just until I'm sure v1.125 is good to go and so far no real problems.

Digitalwoodshop
01-19-2008, 11:19 AM
The little brass roller is the weak link..... Any error in the board roller show up big time....

Do it with masking tape on the roller path part of the board.... Give the roller something to bite into...

AL

The "DH"
01-19-2008, 11:29 AM
Also something to keep in mind is if your board is not flat it may not have enough contact with the brass roller. I just loaded a board in the CW with just a little bit of cupping and sure enough the measurement was off due to poor contact on the brass roller. so I planed off a 1/16 of an inch and the measurement was spot on and craving as I write this.

hotpop
01-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Lloyd,

I just tried to make a cribbage board, selected drill, 1/8 dia. and .5 inch deep. When it drilled the holes all of them were drilled oblong.T

There are a lot of possible reasons for the 1/8" bit drilling a 1/8" hole making oblong holes.

1. The bit has a flat tip. When making contact with it may be dancing around until it can center it self. If the machine would continue plunging down the hole would eventually stabilize but CW keeps lifting the bit and plunges in about .050" increments.

2. The bit could have an edge that is not as sharp as the others or a few thousands shorter or longer then the others causing it to dance on contact.

3. The adapter in the QC chuck could a particle in it cocking the bit. A .005" particle in the adapter contact area will translate into .015" to .020" at the bit tip. When the tip makes contact it tries to center it self. If this is the case then if you were to drill a 1/2" the finished diameter would come out over size.

I don't think the is a solution to the problem using the 1/8" cutting bit to make a 1/8" dia, hole. I searched the internet for over an hour looking for a manufacture of 1/8" straight cutting bits that have 3/4" long flutes. I couldn't find any. The maximum flute length available is 1/2". Does that tell you anything?

I think your best bet might be spot your holes with a 90 degree bit by 1/16" deep. When the CW is finished. Drill your peg holes with a drill press.

You can also order some 1/8" bit adapters from Ron Justice and insert a 1/8" drill bit. A drill bit has and angled tip the make it self center.

pkunk
01-19-2008, 01:44 PM
I had this problem which was resolved by new x axis gears. Just a little slop in them will cause oblong holes. Now I drill 1/4" holes for shelf pins in my cabinet sides for hours with absolute precision. It is not the bit!:rolleyes:

rengaw
01-20-2008, 04:47 AM
The first project on the second machine CW sent out, (1st one D.O.A.), was a scanning sled. Seemed a simple task to drill 1/8" holes thriugh and place a 90 degree c'sink on those centers for screwing the sides to the sled. Laid out a pattern to test on scrap and both the holes and c'sinks came out oblong and slightly angled. Being a noob, tried out some more tests which also included a number of 1/4" holes + and - .005" at various depths that also came out oblong and angled. Traded patterns back and forth with CW who determined their machines acted the same. So this has been a known issue at CW since the end of November, and have been told it should be fixed in the next release due the first part of February.
Keepin' the old fingers crossed...

Steve

Lloyd
01-20-2008, 08:46 AM
I only have about 10 hours on my machine, I hope the gears wear better than that. I beleive it is software driven error because all 245 holes are the same, lined up and evenly spaced. If it was a wear problem I don't think they would be lined up so accuratly. Just my thoughts on the matter.