PDA

View Full Version : SolidWorks STL conversion using ZBrush, Carrara, etc

dandrea
01-17-2008, 09:56 PM
I've been using CNC technology for a few years at work so when I found out about the CW system I was so impressed that I'm now an avid user of the machine.

I've been creating pieces in Designer and PS but I need to take some of my SolidWorks files and get them running on the machine. Specifically I've been working on some wooden fly reels in SW that I would really like to get going on the CW. Done lots of reading of other posts and research, but I can't get my files (STLs or IGES) to convert to height maps so I can use them in the CW machine.

Is there anyone who would like to pass along a tip or trick of how to do this? I've tried both Carrara and ZBrush but I can't quite get it to work. Any thoughts?

If anyone is interested, I'll post the final pattern files if I ever get them into Designer. :D

Thanks,

Dan

dougmsbbs
01-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Just a little while longer...
JLitz is taking a first look at some software I wrote that will do what you want. If he doesn't break it too bad, I hope to get it out there soon.
Meanwhile, if you want to try one of your files out, attach it to an email and send it to dougmsbbs@hotmail.com and I'll see if the software reads them correctly.

deemon328
01-18-2008, 06:44 AM
Do either of those packages allow you to render to a Z-order or heightmap? If you can get to that stage, you could import into photoshop then convert to a PNG for import into Designer. Convoluted, but doable. That's the only way I know of, but I'm sure there are others.

TerryT
01-18-2008, 07:42 AM
Do a search of the forum for "image analyzer". Someone posted a link to this free download. Open your STL's, save the height png and load it into Designer. I have used it and it works well.

liquidguitars
01-18-2008, 11:36 AM
You can send me one of your STL files and I can give it a try.

As a side note, the format is better saved out as quads so 3DS is not the way to go if you can help it. .

LG

dandrea
01-20-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions and responses! I should have posted earlier! lol

I've had some luck using Image Analyzer but some of the geometry is lost when I use it. There was another piece of software I tried and had some better results (can't remember the name, on a remote computer right now).

I heard that CW is going to have STL integration later on so it will be interesting to see how much easier it is and what other things people come up with. I'll post some pics of the reel when its in better shape. Too much paid work to be doing right now so it cuts down on my "fun time" making my own projects.

Thanks again everyone!

Dan

Buck
01-28-2008, 03:49 PM
If you have the photoworks add in for solidworks, you can project a gradient (black to white) image onto your model as a decal. It works really well. But the add in isn't included in the basic software package. You need to have office proffesional or see if you can buy the add in by itself.