PDA

View Full Version : New unit DOA - about to give up hope!

LarryLesniak
01-17-2008, 08:56 PM
I've read through the archives as best I can so I'm sure you've all read this before but I'm HOPING there's something I've missed...

I read through the forums and downloaded the demo of the designer software before ordering. Despite the number of problems I read about on the forums I decided the machine's capabilities were too good to pass up so I ordered a CompuCarve from Sears on the latest super Craftsman Club sale. The machine was finally ready for pick-up today and I brought it home, unpacked it VERY carefully, checked it all over for loose/missing parts, double-checked the setup, inserted the memory card, and turned on the power. Nothing but black blocks on the LCD. I tried adjusting contrast with no luck and the pins on the card reader are fine. I decided to check the memory card on my computer so I installed the designer from the CD that came with the machine, updated it as directed when I started the software, and proceeded to flash the memory card to 1.125. The card seemed fine so I loaded a project that I had created in the designer, inserted the card into the machine, and powered it up again but still nothing on the LCD. I went so far as to remove the bottom cover and check the controller ribbon cable as noted in the troubleshooting FAQ but still no change in the LCD. Unless I've missed something it appears that I've got a bad/DOA unit. Can you suggest anything else? Otherwise I'm returning the unit to Sears. Before I do I'll consider whether I want another unit or a refund. I'd really like to have the capabilities of this machine in my shop but I really can't afford the time it appears is necessary to get/keep it running. ANY assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Larry
(hoping to get this machine up and running)

FINGERS
01-17-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi Larry If it's DOA and IT sounds Like it is you can take it back for an other one or refund and buy it from LHR.
Mike

fwharris
01-17-2008, 09:15 PM
Larry,

First of all, sorry to hear that you have the problem right out of the box. I am a fairly new user myself (11/07) and seemed to be one of the lucky one's that had no problems at all.

The first thing you should do is call LHR. Do not call Sears as they no nothing about the machine.

Hope you get a good resovle to your problem. Trust me you will like the results of the CC...

Jeff_Birt
01-17-2008, 09:20 PM
There have been a few folks who had bad memory cards and had this same problem (as I recall). Give CW a call, they will be able to get you fixed up.

newcarver
01-17-2008, 09:24 PM
Ive been a member of several forums for quite some time now and am still amazed at the fact that people are still getting these doa machines. Has it occured to LHR that just maybe they should start checking them out BEFORE the enter the market. Quality control could be the answer to alot of issues...

Dan-Woodman
01-17-2008, 09:31 PM
Don't you have to register your serial number with LHR?

LarryLesniak
01-17-2008, 10:53 PM
I guess I really did check everything and do a reasonably good job of troubleshooting since there are no obvious "gotchas" that I missed. I'll give CW a call in the morning to see if we can bring this unit to life. As for the serial number, yes, I did have to register it with LHR but it was on a tag on the machine so I didn't have to access the firmware or LCD to find it. As for quality control, it's was especially aggravating to me to see a "QC Passed" sticker right next to the one with the serial number. One has to assume that it at least passed a power-on test to get through quality control! I suppose it's possible that something happened to the machine in transport but the box and packing materials were perfect and the ribbon cables I checked seem to have been routed and connected properly. I suppose I just happened to get one of the increasingly rare bad units right out of the box and hopefully it can be made to work.

Thanks again for the support.

Larry

Jeff_Birt
01-17-2008, 11:30 PM
My guess would be that the machines and cards are tested separately. On a production line you would generally have some sort of 'test' card or harness that you would use. Things like the memory cards would be tested on a automated machine after it was built.

TIMCOSBY
01-18-2008, 12:30 AM
Ive been a member of several forums for quite some time now and am still amazed at the fact that people are still getting these doa machines. Has it occured to LHR that just maybe they should start checking them out BEFORE the enter the market. Quality control could be the answer to alot of issues...

why would one machine work great and the next have all kind of gremlins?????

mtylerfl
01-18-2008, 01:23 PM
I guess I really did check everything and do a reasonably good job of troubleshooting since there are no obvious "gotchas" that I missed...
Larry

Hello Larry,

Sorry you're having problems. This may sound silly, but...

One more thing to check is to make sure your shop is not too cold. There have been reports that a cold environment can render the LCD blank - take the machine to a warm environment, the LCD display returns for some.

I know this is really a long-shot, but thought I should mention it anyway.

LarryLesniak
01-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I've read quite a few positive posts in these forums about LHR's tech support and that was one of the factors that prompted me to acquire my CompuCarve. I didn't expect to need their help immediately after the purchase but I'm stuck with a non-working machine so I made a call to the 800-number first thing this morning. As soon as I pressed the button for technical support I was connected to a technician who listened patiently to my recap of the situation and troubleshooting steps I've taken. He then made a few suggestions for further checking of cable connections within the machine. When none of these steps brought the machine up he suggested we try a new memory card which they'll ship to me immediately. If this doesn't resolve the problem with my machine they'll send a new controller. I'm sorry I didn't catch the technician's name but he was very courteous, helpful, and really seemed concerned that I had received a malfunctioning machine. I'll wait to see if the machine can be fixed before I pass judgement on it but my first contact with LHR and their tech support was very positive.

With regard to the post in this thread about temperature, I had read in the forum about the machines not liking cold temps so the suggestion to try a warmer location was a good idea. My shop isn't exactly warm (i.e. low to mid 60's) so I blocked off a space around the machine and put a small electric heater in with it. This brought the machine temp up from cold to the touch to mildly warm but unfortunately it didn't change the non-operational state. I appreciate the help, though, and any and all suggestions will be tested!

Larry

Bubbabear
01-19-2008, 08:23 AM
Check this out and may give some answers If not at least maybe a good laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qcl8_vKnFQ&feature=related

why would one machine work great and the next have all kind of gremlins?????

dwbox
01-19-2008, 10:41 AM
One other thing. Load the software on your computer. Format the memory card and reload the firmware. This may not be the problem, but it's also a quick and simple thing to check.

LarryLesniak
01-25-2008, 07:51 PM
The new memory card did the trick! I received the new card today, checked the format and firmware, loaded a project, and it worked perfectly. The results were a bit fuzzy (it was an imported low-quality bitmap) so I uploaded two other projects, both created net new using only designer components, and they both produced acceptable results in some leftover pine and maple stock. I really don't understand how the new card solved the DOA issue since the old one functioned perfectly in my computer just like the new one. Regardless, the machine is functional now and I've got plenty to learn and lots of experimentation to do so I better get back to work! My thanks once again to the tech staffer who helped me with this problem. I hope I won't need to call them for a while but I'm confident they'll be able to help if/when I do.

Larry

deemon328
01-26-2008, 05:32 AM
Check this out and may give some answers If not at least maybe a good laugh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qcl8_vKnFQ&feature=related

OMG, I now know that tool safety is ingrained into my brain permanently. When he pointed that nailgun at himself, I got the willies like it was a 9mm.

Bubbabear
01-26-2008, 07:18 AM
Dustin glad you enjoyed that