PDA

View Full Version : trouble setting correct cutting depth...

ATcarver
01-16-2008, 03:16 PM
sorry if this has been posted before, but i'm relatively new to the carvewright and woodworking in general.

i've made and carved quite a few designs already, but i'm having trouble getting my designs to actually cut through my piece of wood. when using a 3/4" thick piece of wood, i enter 3/4" depth for my cutting line. however, when my project actually is carved, it's not deep enough.

any ideas on what i'm doing wrong?

Dan-Woodman
01-16-2008, 04:12 PM
Welcome
If your talking about cutting out your carving completly from the board , try --cut path--

ATcarver
01-16-2008, 04:15 PM
sorry, i meant cut path.

Dan-Woodman
01-16-2008, 04:27 PM
When you choose cut path from the menu, you don't set a depth for it .
The machine measures the board thickness and cuts through the board based on those measurements. After choosing cut path you can also flip cut to cut inside the line or outside the line.

ATcarver
01-16-2008, 04:33 PM
i guess that's my issue. it never seems to cut all the way through. i guess i'm not understanding what you mean by flip cut.

Dan-Woodman
01-16-2008, 04:47 PM
OK, lets start at the beginning .
If you draw a rectangle on your board in designer, then at the top on the menu bar is a board with a handsaw sticking out of it . This is cut path . When you click on it there is a selection comes up that you can pick flip cut, which flips your through cut from inside the line or outside the line.
You must have a closed loop in order to use flip cut . Thats why I'm saying to use the rectangle to see what I'm referring to .

kwyjibo67
01-16-2008, 10:41 PM
If I understand what you are saying, this has happened to me a couple of times. The cut path does not cut entirely through the board, but leaves approx 1/16" of material at the bottom of the cut path. I then have to go to the scroll saw to completely cut out the pattern. Might be a high spot where the bit touches the board at the start of the carve to determine the depth. Just guessing as it doesn't happen with every cut path that I do.

mtylerfl
01-16-2008, 11:29 PM
If I understand what you are saying, this has happened to me a couple of times. The cut path does not cut entirely through the board, but leaves approx 1/16" of material at the bottom of the cut path. I then have to go to the scroll saw to completely cut out the pattern. Might be a high spot where the bit touches the board at the start of the carve to determine the depth. Just guessing as it doesn't happen with every cut path that I do.

Hello,

If you are using the "Cut Path" tool, what you are describing should NOT happen at all. The Cut Path function will cut all the way through a board up to 1" thick, whilst leaving tiny "safety tabs" at intervals around the piece being cut out. If it is not doing that EVERY time you create a cut path (using the Cut Path tool), then something is either wrong with your machine, or it is "pilot error".

Common Pilot Error #1: Sometimes folks "mess up" the cut path function because they think they need to assign a bit and/or assign a cutting depth to a cut path, which of course should not be done when using the Cut Path tool. That will override the proper operation of the cutpath function

Common Pilot Error #2: A user will create an outline around a part they want cutout, manually assign a bit, and set the depth of cut to go through the board. Manually doing this invites a broken machine, broken bits, or worse because your cutouts will fly all around the inside of the machine once they're free from the board via the "manual cutout".

Very dangerous situation if the user doesn't realize what they're doing and properly secure soon-to-be-flying cutout areas with dbl-stick tape to a custom underlayment <<<this is a "specialty" situation, for particular needs such as cutting very thin stock. (If using stock 1/2" thickness or more, the user should use the normal Cut Path Tool function - it's safe and automatic)

TIMCOSBY
01-17-2008, 03:12 AM
it helps to go read all of the help file on all of the commands. not talkin down at you just tryin to help.