PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid Sign

Fauxfinisher
01-16-2008, 02:25 AM
I thought this sign came out pretty nice... Got the pattern here,, "Autobody"-posted it... I am a professional Faux Finisher and Furniture Finisher, so if you have any questions about finishing something let me know.. I work mostly in waterbased finishes... On the Mermaid Scales I used iridescent waxes.. it looks awesome....anyways thought that i would share this with you all..

liquidguitars
01-16-2008, 02:30 AM
Welcome..

Nice job! it's good to see the fourms free patterns 2..

LG

DON FIELDS
01-16-2008, 09:24 AM
That's really nice! And it fits right in with the neighborhood atmosphere of Laguna Beach.

mtylerfl
01-16-2008, 11:09 AM
I thought this sign came out pretty nice... Got the pattern here,, "Autobody"-posted it... I am a professional Faux Finisher and Furniture Finisher, so if you have any questions about finishing something let me know.. I work mostly in waterbased finishes... On the Mermaid Scales I used iridescent waxes.. it looks awesome....anyways thought that i would share this with you all..

Hello Fauxfinisher,

That is a very nice project! I really like the iridescent effect on the scales.

I've done a lot of trompe l'oeil paintings (see a couple photos below) and have experimented a bit with faux finishes as well. You have inspired me to try more faux finishing techniques on some of my CW projects!

I have not come across iridescent waxes in all these years. Tell me, what are they, and where does one buy them? Any tips for their application? Any problem applying a clear coat over them? (i.e., do they have to be applied after the clear coat because they are 'wax' ?)

Any info will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's a couple of "in progress" pics of my daughter's room trompe l'oeil perspective painting on a perfectly flat wall. I did finish it, but can't find the finished photos on this computer!

Fauxfinisher
01-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Michael,,, The Company is Called "ProFaux"... They sell all types of faux finishing supplies..They have a whole line of metallic waxes and powder pigments... You can apply a clear coat over it as soon as it dries..As far as application if you are doing a large area you would use a small sponge to lightly apply the wax.. for small areas such as this Mermaid I used a artist brush applied in very light coats--Ideally you should find a dealer who can instruct you on application of their products..But, if you can't find one let me know, i will try to help you as much as I can.. Their Address is [url]WWW.Profaux.Com. ..P.S.. I Sold That Mermaid Sign For Well over $100.00

mtylerfl
01-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Michael,,, The Company is Called "ProFaux"... They sell all types of faux finishing supplies..They have a whole line of metallic waxes and powder pigments... You can apply a clear coat over it as soon as it dries..As far as application if you are doing a large area you would use a small sponge to lightly apply the wax.. for small areas such as this Mermaid I used a artist brush applied in very light coats--Ideally you should find a dealer who can instruct you on application of their products..But, if you can't find one let me know, i will try to help you as much as I can.. Their Address is [url]WWW.Profaux.Com. ..P.S.. I Sold That Mermaid Sign For Well over $100.00

Hello Fauxfinisher,

Thank you for all the great info! I'll have to try some of that.

Thanks also for the offer of future assistance if I (we) need it.

You did such a fantastic job on the sign, I'm not a bit suprised you were able to sell it for over the hundred bucks - well worth it for such a fine piece of work!