PDA

View Full Version : getting Edge Detection Failed error:400 when using sled

betacrash
01-15-2008, 06:10 PM
i just made my first sled/carrier last night. it is 14 1/2 inches wide and 24 1/2 inches long. i didnt need it to be very deep since I was just going to be cutting out ukulele tops with it. So I made the sides 1/4" taller than the board (3/4" MDF). I was wanting to do some experimenting like seeing if the board would measure even with the 1/4" drop (what is the threshold of depth change before it stops measuring?). So anyway whenever I put the board in and try to measure it it pretty much instantly gives me Edge Detection Failed error:400. I thouht my machine was hosed but when I put another board in it works fine. I even flipped it over so the rail was riding directly over the sensor and still got the error. What is going on? Is it because I attached the rails to the sides rather than the top? I dont see the rails being that much out of level with the board to cause an issue. I may just try to make another sled in the meantime and just route out the area for the ukulele tops to be placed.

dwbox
01-15-2008, 06:54 PM
I mounted my boards to the side of my sled as well. I used laminated wood for the sled, so I made the sides from poplar so little measurement wheel would turn correctly. What color is your wood on the sides?

betacrash
01-15-2008, 07:05 PM
It is all mdf, no laminate. The funny thing is is that I put a flat piece of MDF in and it read it fine. I wonder if there is something with the edge of MDF. I will try to put some tape on the edge to see if that helps.

betacrash
01-15-2008, 07:35 PM
i just put a piece of silver duct tape on the edges that would be read and it it read all the way across. So I guess the eye does not like to look at the edges of MDF.

Chris Reid
01-16-2008, 02:36 AM
You could check your sensor manually with the MDF and see what it is reading at. At the menu press 0, then scroll through till you see "board sensor". Now just hold the mdf under it and you will get your reading. Your sensor may need cleaned. I have to clean mine every project or I get errors. Unfortunately debris can get in and block the lens. In the manual it tells what the readout should be, mine runs a bit low.

It would be nice to have a table showing what readings can be expected from different materials. Maybe we can put something together.

Good luck

liquidguitars
01-16-2008, 02:50 AM
I just add wood to the top of the main board so the brass weel gets a clean ride. also try loading your sled under the
outfeed roller and not in the center of the unit, do not over crank the roller pressure due to the 1/4 stock if you have voids.

LG