PDA

View Full Version : Machine need counciling

spike
01-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Hi Guys.
Here's a new one on me. The other day I was starting a carving project and had went through the usual questions and prompts at the beginning. I had the board loaded as usual and the machine was going through it's measuring. When it got to checking the depth( touching the bit at different locations) everything seemed fine untill it moved to the side of the macine where the keypad is. The head went down to touch the spot next to the brass wheel and for some unknown reason decided to power up the bit. Before I could get to it the bit had drilled a nice hole through the plastic.

I checked to see if anything else was damaged and all seemed allright. I should have realized that the machine was mentally unstable at this point but continued with the carve. I stood right there and watched till the carving was done. No problem. The final operation was to cut the board to size. Well the machine must have thought the board was several inches thick because it didn't stop with 3 or 4 passes but kept cutting till it was down to the bit holder. Have any of you had this happen?
Spike

Skyhawk
01-15-2008, 07:44 PM
I had this a while ago...and if I remember correctly this was caused by a software issue...1.119 I think...You may need to upgrade to one of the newer versions!

spike
01-15-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the reply Skyhawk.
I have the latest software version installed. Last Saturday I was at the Woodcraft show here in Columbus, Ohio and talked to the folks from Carvewright about this. I guess this has happened before because they told me to contact the company and explain it to them. I was told that the company would send me a metal clip to fit into the hole.

Emailed them yesterday and waiting on a reply.
Thanks again.
Spike

The "DH"
01-16-2008, 07:16 AM
Spike,
I had this problem as well and it can cause problems for future cuts if you don't fix it by putting a metal touch plate where the bit went through. LHR sells them but when I got mine I didn't like them so I made my own. No problems since.

Skyhawk
01-16-2008, 07:33 AM
In the meantime, a dime fits nicely into that spot for a temporary repair...you may want to add some double faced tape to the bottom to keep it from moving though...

spike
01-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Thanks to all of you for the input. I think I might be able to borrow a dime from my wife if I ask real nice.