PDA

View Full Version : When UPS plays football with your package...

deemon328
01-15-2008, 10:27 AM
This is sort of an OT rant, but I got my bit set in today from UPS. My box was dented and looked like it had been re-taped over top of the UPS label on the op of the box.

On the inside, my invoice was crumpled into a ball, like it was supposed to be part of the bubble wrap, but the box was completely filled with bubble wrap.

The bit set box itself was undamaged, but several of the bits had fallen out of their MAGNETIC holders and one of the magnets came unglued from the bit box. Thankfully, the bits have that protective coating on them and none appear to be significantly damaged. The large roundover bit has a little bit of an edge exposed from the protective covering, but it doesn't appear to be damaged, thankfully.

What the heck is wrong with UPS? I got lucky and had no damage today, but I know some of you have had catastrophic deliveries. Bad shippers cost everyone money.

Ron Smith
01-15-2008, 10:42 AM
What the heck is wrong with UPS? I got lucky and had no damage today, but I know some of you have had catastrophic deliveries. Bad shippers cost everyone money.

I won't ship anything with UPS anymore. I was having problems with my machine and had to send it back to LHR. I boxed it up, and even built a wooden crate inside the box for protection. I packed padding all around the inside, taped it up tight and took it to the shipping center myself. I paid $100 to insure it for the $2000 cost of replacement. I got a call from LHR a few days later and they told me the machine was damaged in transit and wasn't functional. I called UPS and they told me they would "send a rep to look at it and determine what the issues were". LHR called me back after the "rep" had looked at it and he determined "it wasn't packaged properly by the customer" so even though they damaged it, UPS wouldn't honor the insurance. Lucky for me it was already at LHR and they knew UPS had destroyed it. They sent me a brand new machine with a full warranty, at their cost, no questions asked. Even with some issues on the machine, they have done me well. I'll recommend them to anyone.

Ron

liquidguitars
01-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Ron that's Cool LHR spotted your unit, UPS trashed my first unit after a repair, I still can not get the table to crank up or down well, but the unit carves like a banshee so I never made a fuss with UPS .. the packing was flattened like a pancake! so I guess it was dropped 5' to 8' on the rout home.

LG

David Myers
01-20-2008, 10:28 AM
New user + first post

I got my machine for Christmas it came a week early and UPS distroyed the box. I had them stay while I inspected the machine and it appeared to be fine. But when I tried to use it I got all kinds of errors. I called LHR and they sent instructions to send it back. I repaired the shipping box and UPS picked it up. LHR repaired everything and sent it back. UPS really did a number on the shipping box again. The top of the machine has a crack around one of the screw holes and I will not be able to use the original box to ship it back if I need to. UPS is the last company I would use to ship fragial equipment if I had my way.

Thanks for letting me vent.

David

jspringertx
01-20-2008, 10:49 AM
They normally do a good job, but when it comes to heavy or odd sized items they really suck. A freind that had a computer destroyed by them carefully packed the next shipment and took it directly to the UPS depot.

He asked the clerk if he thought that the packing was okay he was asked if they dropped it off the desk on the to concrete floor that it would survive.

I shipped some imprinted mugs to New England and they broke 18 of the 36 mugs sent. I had used the original box (from China) enclosed that box in another shipping box with a cushion of peanuts surrounding the box.

They paid my claim without a problem.

Kenm810
01-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Sometime I wish we could use a few Shock or Impact Indictors stickers
Inside and out side or CC and CW shipping boxes, to help reduce shipping damage

PRODUCT BENEFITS

Reduce product damage and loss incurred during transportation
Protect fragile, sensitive or calibrated goods while in-transit
Alert carriers that careful handling is mandatory - visual deterrent
Provide evidence that miss-handling occurred
Customer inspection time is reduced
Reduce time spent processing damage product claims with shipping companies and customers
Enhance image with customer, restores faith in your ability to delivery product safely
Tamper-proof
Easy-to-use adhesive backing requires no tools or assembly to install PRODUCT APPLICATIONS
The Shock watch label can apply to almost any product shipping situation including:

Semiconductor devices
Aerospace and Military Equipment
Automotive components
Glass products
Commercial appliances
Machinery
Lab equipment
Storage media
Electronics
Furniture Product Selection Guide (http://www.drypak.com/SWLabelSelectionGuide.pdf)

Mounting Guide (http://www.drypak.com/labelMountGuide.pdf)

Just my thoughts http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

newcarver
01-20-2008, 11:06 AM
There have been to many times ups has in the past detroyed packages from and to me, LHR has choosen poorly and need to change shippers. What it comes down to is if you what it there safely, dont ship ups. DHL and FedEX are both ten times better. Of course that could change...lol

Kenm810
01-20-2008, 11:27 AM
The Doctors that really scare me are the ones that have, Practicing at such and such Hospital or Clinic on their Card or Letter Head.
I’d much rather have a doctor that is done Practicing and Knows what he’s doing. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

jspringertx
01-20-2008, 09:50 PM
In an earler post I had indicated that I had observed someone photographing a returned box that came in UPS. The box was badly damaged so they photographed it prior to opening it.

Inside there was a little of the orginal foam packing, but here was also a diaper, two pair of underwear (clean), and towels. Fortunately the unit looked okay so maybe the packing was sufficient.

I am not saying that UPS is perfect, but I doubt in any of the carriers really handle the boxes with care.