PDA

View Full Version : My CW thoughts

fwharris
01-15-2008, 01:38 AM
Well I thought I would finally jump in and post some thoughts and questions about the CW.

I am 2 years retired from Kodak film plant in Colorado (32 yrs)
. NO MORE FRICKEN NIGHTS AND WEEK ENDS!!!!!
I have a novice background (jack of all and master of none) in most all of building/const. trades (thanks Dad) and probably know enough on most things to do what I want. My 2 best friends are also in the construction business (mason and carpenter).
Since the big K, I’ve remodeled the kitchen, dinning/living room, 2 decks and pergolas, 12 ft octagon planting bed and a 13 X 20 flagstone patio with a fountain.
I got my CC/CW machine in early Oct. of 2007 from Sears. It took me several weeks to make the big decision. Spent a fare amount of time on line at CW/forum and links from everyone’s posting. With the wife’s okey-dokey, (she jumped at the chance to have me find something to do) I decided to make the big jump.

$1800 dollars on the old sears card and a week later it was at the store. The same day I picked it up, Sears had it listed for $99 less. One email to Sears and I got the reduced price. Doesn’t get any better than that!

After spending several hours playing with the software, I made my first carving. It was a picture of one of my buddies sitting in a boat in Kansas holding a 5 lb catfish. If you looked at it hard enough you could make out what it was. Being a new bee I did not have the depth/height adjustments set but it was my first carving. My friend would not give it back to me after I showed it to him so I guess it wasn’t too bad after all.

Two weeks later I think I carved up just about every piece of flat pine I had in the garage.
Most were from some photos and clipart. Most were crude and only about 30 min. carvings. (just having fun making sawdust) My first real project was a sign for our coin club. We had a coin show the end of Oct. and since I was able to download the FREE patterns from www.carvebuddy.com. It was a great hit with everyone.
I will post the mpc in the gallery later. I also carved some coin pattern boards as a donation to the kid's auction at the show.
Did I say “October”? Baseball in Colorado! I also carved up a NLCS board for the Rockies and their great run. ( will post it and the patterns also). Hats off to the SOX fans out there. If we could have only won one game I had tickets to game 5.

Since then I have experienced the meltdown of the flex shaft (got a new one in 3 days), went to the woodworkers show in Denver and spent most of the time at the CW booth and took advantage of the discount and bought the bit set, scanning probe and centerline.

Enough of my rambling on. I have been amazed at the work that has been posted and has opened my eyes up to a lot of possibilities. The forum has been a helpful in the learning curve of the CW.
I am still using 1.120 and would like to know if the issue of being able to use to old patterns has been resolved? I see posts on having to convert them to mpw and import them back in, to having no problem at all. Is there a proper way or is it do it one way and if it doesn’t work do it another way?
Since I do now have a few hours (about 60) on my CW does anyone recommend any special maintenance other that the std lube, clearing the dust, calib. Offset etc.? I was thinking of possibly sending it to CW and having them do a checkup. Any thoughts on that?
I feel sorry for the few that have had problems right out of the box and have gotten the chicken with the broken egg feeling. They are missing out on a lot of fun..

twehr
01-15-2008, 09:17 AM
Glad you decided to join.

In response to you question about versions and patterns:

1. Old patterns (v 1.120) will work just fine in the 1.125 Designer and for cutting.
2. If you created your own patterns in 1.120 (probe & pattern editor), you will not be able to edit them under 1.125.

If you have the probe and editor software working under 1.120, the best bet is to run both versions on your computer, so that you can edit the old ones with 1.120 and the new ones with 1.125. Easiest way to do that is:

A. Rename the Carvewright folder (C:\Program Files\Carvewright) to C:\Programs Files\Carvewright 1.120.
B. Install the 1.125 software. During the install you can tell it where to install - location should still be C:\Program Files\ but change the folder name to Carvewright 1.125. (Alternatively, you can just install 1.125 and let it use the default location/name of C:\Program Files\Carvewright. You can change the name of the folder afterwards, if you wish. Just make sure the you did step A above, or the old version will be removed.

Alternatively, you can make a copy of the current C:\Program Files\Carvewright folder, rename it. Then run Designer from the original folder and tell it to upgrade.

Regardless of how you go about it, you just need to have a copy of your current (v1.120) folder with all it contents. The two versions live quite happily together.

Then just launch the version you want and all is happy. You just have to remember which one you want to use for which patterns.

mtylerfl
01-15-2008, 09:36 AM
Hello FWHarris,

So happy to hear you enjoyed our free coin patterns (I like them too!).

As far as pattern compatibility...

We still create all our patterns so that they are compatible with ALL the versions of Designer released thus far. If you order a pattern from the Pattern Depot, you would not be able to use those particular patterns unless you update to the latest version of Designer. But again, all the CarveBuddy patterns will work, no matter what version of Designer you are using.

If you do decide to update to a newer version of Designer, your Favorites file location (favorites.mpn) will change (and your pre-existing patterns may become 'invisible') for your new 1.125 version.

Prior to version 1.125 your favorites.mpn is located at:
“C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\favorites.mpn”

After you do the update, the new location will be at:
“C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\CarveWright\favorites.mpn”

I suggest before you update, make a copy of your favorites.mpn file so you can retrieve it after the update and copy the original to the new location, therefore preserving all your original patterns.

I also recommend you KEEP your 1.120 version operational. That way you'll still have full use of it if you encounter any unforseen problems/issues.

You can do this by following the steps below...

1) Copy the original install directory and paste it right back into the 'Program Files' directory. Windows will rename it 'Copy of ...'.

2) Find the 'gui.exe' file and right click and select 'Create Shortcut', copy the resulting short cut to your desktop and rename it Designer 1.120.

After you have done this, you can go ahead and install the 1.125 update. When you install 1.125 it will overwrite the Carvewright folder in 'Program Files', but that's OK since you made a copy of the original and created a new shortcut to it.

Now, you can run EITHER 1.120 or 1.125 at anytime.

Most people are not severely affected pattern-compatibility-wise, unless they want to edit their own patterns they created in the 1.120 'pattern flavor' or earlier. I am hoping that a future Designer version will give an option for recognizing "unlicensed" and "licensed" patterns so that folks can regain the ability to edit their own patterns that were created with 1.120 and prior.

(NOTE: Editing patterns is different than just "using" patterns - to edit patterns, the user must own the Pattern Editor that came with the optional scanning probe or is using Jeff Birt's CBPE software)

rogone
01-15-2008, 12:16 PM
Hello FWHarris,

(NOTE: Editing patterns is different than just "using" patterns - to edit patterns, the user must own the Pattern Editor that came with the optional scanning probe or is using Jeff Birt's CBPE software)

Just out of curiosity, what does Jeff Birt's CBPE software do and where do you get it (free or $)?

fwharris
01-15-2008, 12:26 PM
here is a link to jeff's web page. good tool and it is free
http://www.allcw.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=272&highlight=cbpe

fwharris
01-15-2008, 12:37 PM
mtylerfl and twehr,
thanks for the feedback on upgrading to 1.125. I will have to think this thru. I am running designer on my main comp and my lap top and some time I forget which on has what. suppose i could run one version on the main and the other on the lap top.
I do see the advantage of using 1.125 mainly because of buy the patterns from CW. I have found that using already made patterns are a lot quicker than trying to do them myself.

rogone
01-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks to mtylerfl and twehr on upgrading to 1.125. You both had information that was useful in doing the upgrade. I had been hesitant to do the upgrade for fear it might mess something up but the idea of running both versions appears to be working fine.