PDA

View Full Version : Sears Protection Agreement

Hank
01-12-2008, 03:04 PM
I just ordered a protection agreement for my Compucarve. It's for 5 years (expiration 1/12/13).
I purchased the Compucarve in April 07. The cost of the agreement was $123.42.
It's on Sears site for:
5YR In-Shop Master Protection Agreement $ 299.99
3YR In-Shop Master Protection Agreement $ 219.99
Call Sears @ 1-800-469-4663 ask for warranty.
I hope it's for real!!!!

Best of luck
Hank

deemon328
01-12-2008, 04:03 PM
With all the discussion, I don't know what's for real and what isn't. If CW doesn't honor it, does it even matter? If we paid for it at Sears, then doesn't Sears have to honor it even if they have to pay for the CW repair bill?

I know I have the 3-year plan and hope to not need it.

poteetjr
01-12-2008, 07:25 PM
I have been routinely calling the warranty line to see it they cover it. As of January they now cover the Compucarve system.

cartibee
01-17-2008, 08:18 PM
I just ordered a 3 yr protection plan for $249:

want2b
01-26-2008, 06:53 AM
Contacted Sears Jan 25 about warranty, found out the cost seems to vary for some reason. 3 year plan is $320.82, 4 yr 435.95, 5 yr $551.07, all plans start the date of puchase of the plan not the purcae of the machine. Included is a yearly no-charge tune-up, you drop the machine off at Sears, they ship to "their support in Texas" for checkup & routine maintenance and return to the store for your pickup. Any repairs are handled the same way. Am probably going with the 3 year, my machine will be a year old March 2 and at $100 avg cost per year fiqure shipping alone would be that much if any serious failure. Would like the 5 yr but the $$ amount makes me hesitate.

deemon328
01-26-2008, 07:15 AM
No way in hell I'd trust a working CC to multiple handling sites for routine maintenance though. Sears>UPS>CW homebase>UPS>Sears= too much risk. There's only one link in that chain that I trust.

I think they should make DigitalWoodshop our regional authorized repair center. I'd personally drive 5 hours each way to ensure an undamaged shipment of this importance.

newcarver
01-26-2008, 08:15 AM
I have asked many times about an extened warranty from LHR and have been told very little in return. If sears can offer an extension for the warranty, It makes me truely wonder why LHR has not even brought the issue up. I like and use my machine alot, and have had many many problems with it, the fact the parent company offers no extended coverage on a machine that has known issues makes me wonder.

Semper Fi
01-28-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm going to the local Sears store today and asking about the extended warranty. I'm just out of warranty and the shipping cost alone would eat up a big portion of the extended warranty cost. I don't see how I can pass this up, if it's for real. If they can't fix a machine under their "Master Protection Agreement" plan, they will furnish a brand new machine. Other than the time lost in transit, this seems like a winner to me. I'd certainly like to send my machine back once a year for a tuneup.

Will report back.

Ernie

switz
01-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Their prices seem to be all over the place. I just ordered 3 year for $185 with no maintenance checks, only repair or replace. The Master warranty was almost $500 so I passed as I don't want them to do any maintenance anyway.

Semper Fi
01-28-2008, 05:12 PM
Just got back from the local Sears store where I bought my machine. They can only sell the maintenance agreements with a new machine. That was $299 for 5 years. He told me that the higher price was probably because the machine was already being used and not brand new. Kinda makes sense....... if you didn't buy the agreement with the machine and now want it, you probably have some issues with the machine. But they definitely are offering a maintenance agreement for our machines. I saw it on their computer screen myself. Now I'm going to call the 800 number and purchase the maintenance for my machine, if they'll sell it to me.

BobC33
01-28-2008, 05:27 PM
After having read this post about the warranty plan I checked the Sears website and did notice that the compucarve was offering a warranty for 299.00 for 5 yrs if you buy it when you buy the machine. I paid 526.68 including tax (Texas is high at 8.25 %) for 5 years with my 10% discount. So I believe it is a good deal for the next 5 years I won't be paying for any repairs out of my pocket, especially for the this machine cost 1800 to 2000 dollars. But eveyone this warranty is for real this time and not a mistake. So if you don't have it I would advise getting it and save on your repairs. I read on the forum that shipping alone both ways runs around 200 dollars so I think it is worth the money. But be advised this is no joke Sears is finally offering a warranty on this expensive tool and it's about time.

Ken Massingale
01-28-2008, 05:53 PM
LOML got the 3 year Master Protection Plan when she bought our Compucarve.

Semper Fi
01-28-2008, 06:22 PM
I just completed the process of getting my machine fully covered until February 26, 2013. It took over a half hour, but in the end, William at Sears, got it done. The cost was $575.70 and that was for the 'Master Protection Agreement". This was probably the first agreement sold on an existing machine. All they wanted to know was if it was in good operating condition at this time. This will include a yearly maintenance check, if I want it, and all parts and labor for any problems. And, if they can't fix it, I get a new machine. The only catch is I have to take it to a Sears maintenance center which, for me, is about 60 miles. But hey, it sure beats sending it back to Carvewright on my own dime and paying for parts and labor. I'd get one of these agreements bought before Sears figures out they have priced it too low. JMHO

ps. Sorry, but it took me so long to type this that I never saw the above posts that came in.

desertangel
01-29-2008, 11:31 PM
I just received my refurbed CC that I bought off Ebay for $1000.00 I have already saved $800+ so it seems that if I have too much trouble I might just buy another machine for $1000 and ship the units back and forth to CW for repairs. I figure that maintenance and up keep on the CC is just a cost of doing business.

I think I'd rather have two machines and bear the maintenance cost than have one machine that is spending all that time in transit. I'm pretty handy and should be able to make most adjustments and repairs and anything else I'll leave to CW.

Crossing my fingers:D

Semper Fi
01-30-2008, 05:13 AM
Good luck with your machines, desertangel. One trip back to Texas, plus parts, will make up for about half the cost of the 5 year warranty. I don't know about the rest of the owners, but in my year of ownership, I've had to send the machine back once, replace the Z motor twice, Y motor, and a couple of other parts that escape me right now. I'm not complaining, just saying the cost, if not under warranty, would probably have paid for my maintenance agreement, and I'd still have 4 years left to go on it. This is a great machine, make that a super machine, but it does break now and again.

deemon328
01-30-2008, 06:01 AM
I'd actually consider owning a second machine if I had the business to support it.

I'm currently down with a close cover issue. I don't expect this to be a nightmare to fix, but I really need to be up and running today. I need this job to pay for expenses, but if I had a few more successful jobs, I'd consider it worthwhile to have a backup. I could possibly rationalize one machine under full warranty, and a spare ebayer machine for cheap $. I'm already accumulating spare parts, so why not a spare machine if I'm going to continue down this path.