PDA

View Full Version : Drawing a bead in Designer?

deemon328
01-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Is there a way to draw a raised bead in designer?

Ideally, what I'm looking for is to draw a circle, then select a bit profile (such as a 1/4" ball nose) and select a depth, then reverse it. Since that doesn't seem possible, is there a workaround?

Thanks in advance :)

Jeff_Birt
01-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Try making your circle a carved region using a domed surface and then invert it.

Kenm810
01-12-2008, 02:32 PM
Just playing with it

deemon328
01-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Jeff and Ken, thanks for the replies. I've attached sort of what I'm trying to do.

Ideally, I could make that raised circle nice and curved, but I'm not seeing a way to accomplish it.

Kenm810
01-12-2008, 04:39 PM
Oh that kind of bead -- like piping

Try playing with this one http://forum.carvewright.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

Dan-Woodman
01-12-2008, 04:45 PM
Dustin
If you are referring to something like a 1/4" raised bead, there are bits available to do that.
www.woodline.com has several like that in different sizes. They are similar to the roundover bit that cw carrys. The part numbers are
WL-1317-1 1/8" RADIUS AND 1/4" CUTTER diameter
WL-1317 1/4" RADIUS AND 1/2" cutter diameter
WL-1318 3/8" RADIUS AND 3/4 cutter diameter

all of the above are 1/4" shank.
WL1318-1 5/8" Radius and 1 5/16" diameter
This is 1/2" shank.

The same thing can be done with the roundover bit from cw , but it will leave a small flat area on the bottom

later Daniel

deemon328
01-12-2008, 06:40 PM
That's the one, Ken. I'm not seeing how you created it though. Maybe I've been staring at the PC a little too much today.

Kenm810
01-12-2008, 07:51 PM
I knew, I couldn't do it with the bits I have. So I made a PTN file
by drawing a black Circle in Paint. net, removed the back ground and used the Gaussian blur in the effects menu. Invert it on the mpc in the carve area.

deemon328
01-12-2008, 09:50 PM
Are you importing that as a PNG, or do you have some other software combo.

I've head scratched all day long to find a way to give more draft to a 3d model of a chisel that I made in Strata 3D. I made the model, rendered the height map, loaded into photoshop, inverted and saved out to PNG and finally imported to designer to see that my chisel handle doesn't curve well into the board. I added a medium draft to it and it's perfect, but now I can't export that back out to a ready to plug in PTN.

Thanks again :)

Kenm810
01-12-2008, 10:45 PM
I do import the images as a PNG files to designer when ever possible.
Once the PTN are placed in the projects carve list they can be copied and pasted to other projects,
but only as they were when you first added them to the origonal projects carve list.
If you have the pattern editor that comes with the scanning probe
you can double click on your our original ptn files to modify or just twick them to suit your needs to export them.

deemon328
01-13-2008, 06:59 AM
Wow, Ken, thank you so much for that screenshot of the editor. Is there a manual that comes with that, or other downloadable PDF?

I wasn't going to get the probe, but if that software could take my imports that final step to greatness, I might consider it.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I'm guessing on functions:

undo and redo. unlimited levels of it?
cut copy paste.
board texture, view front
pan controls, zoom
paint brush, can you control it's size?
eraser, size controlled?
no idea about the raindrop
paint bucket, is it a single color selection, gradient?
eye dropper, color selector I'd imagine.
arrow with plus sign in the middle, is that an orbit control for the model?
draw circle, square, line,
masking tools, don't know about first one. rectangular bounding box, add and subtract marquee
invert pattern
hmm, the next 5 don't make sense to me.
rotate object tools.

So, can you add draft to the objects? Are you working on a single layer?

It looks like a useful program.

Thanks so much for sharing. :)

Kenm810
01-13-2008, 07:59 AM
I’m really just learning to use to use the pattern editor myself.
The raindrop is a blur tool, -- the next 5 are (to move the image surface up and down),
(Smooth Filter), (Blur Filter), (De-Noise Filter), and a (Quantize Filter)
It dose have a (Round Edges Tool) but I think you’ll have to add Draft in Designer. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_confused.gif

Like I mentioned I’m still working my way up the Learning Curve,
I’m sure there are several folks out there that know a lot more about it than I.

deemon328
01-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Thanks again for the update. I'm really trying to make some great patterns, hopefully to sell on the site someday. I'm 85% happy with my designs, but they lack that last little bit of draft that the pro patterns have.

I bought the elk pattern last week and was truly impressed. It has perfect contours, especially at the antlers. That's the standard that I'm trying to acheive.

TIMCOSBY
01-14-2008, 02:47 AM
is a little crude to work with but you can erase and bur some and raise and lower the pattern to get rid of background but corel or paint.net are still a better choice to work on the png's. the editor exports png's now in the new version.