PDA

View Full Version : Hello boys and girls--I'm new.

Ira
01-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Hello all! My name is Ira!

And this is all you really want to know about me, but below this, I've listed a few simple questions. Thanks for your help!

The story of Ira:

1) I am a 51-year-old OLD fart, an ex-New Yorker, now living in South Florida with wife and two kids. (I call my older boy Hitler and the younger boy Stalin.)

2) Last month, I lost my job of 6 years (graphic artist).

3) I will have to take another crappy graphic arts job, or undergo a career- and life-changing experience, which at the age of 51, I need really badly and think I deserve.

4) I love woodworking--and not too long ago completed a teardrop travel trailer. But I still basically stink at woodworking. (In other words, my passion soars way above my God-given ability.)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, the possibilities of this machine seem limitless, except I think as far as commercial work goes, even for very low quantity production. But maybe I'm wrong and you'll tell me so, that I don't need a laser machine (which I can't afford anyway) to do what I want to do.

1) I'm an avid guitarist, and I see guitar bodies and necks sold for hundreds and hundreds of dollars each on the web. Most electric guitar bodies are within the material maximums for the machine, and it's not INTRICATE work. Would it take like forever for this machine to carve just one body, keeping that in mind? Or do you think you could get some reasonable production out of it?

2) I'm a Mac guy--so is the software comparable on both platforms?

3) The probe--anyone make an alginate (rubbry stuff) mask of someone's face, probe that, and make a wooden mask of that face?

4) Is anyone using this unit for commercial purposes in a successful way? I have a heavy graphics background, and I see a million possibilities:

Customized wall hangings/placards for restaurants, giveaways for companies and parties (crap like keychains, etc.), there's a ton of stuff you can do with this, like getting $500 a pop for those face masks mentioned above. But can the machine crank it out even marginally , or are we talking hours for even the most minimal of tasks?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your insight guys, and if I could FIND a search feature here I would USE it. (I never heard of a forum without a search feature, but damn if I can find it.)

--Ira

------------------------------------------

An hour later, I found the search function.

DocWheeler
01-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Welcome Ira,

Since nobody has stepped to the plate, let me try to hit a grounder or two.

There are several people that have carved guitars of various types and designs.

The software is Mac compatable.

I believe that Kenm810 has done what you describe, the limitation would be the depth of cut at one inch!

Al (Digitalwoodworks) (ab)uses his machines;)

I know that none of those responses are "long balls", but hope they are a start.

gmalanoski
01-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Welcome to the group Ira! There is a search feature near the top of the forum screen. Hopefully you've seen it by now. In addition, at the bottom there is an option to view the archive section.

I think your idea with the masks is wonderful. I do think the material would have to be stiff enough not to move though.

Truly sorry to hear about your job. However, maybe it's a blessing in disguise. :) I'm sure with your talents you will be an asset to the forum!

Good luck and happy carving!

Ira
01-11-2008, 03:51 PM
Thanks Greg...thanks Ken!!! (And your abbreviated answers are just PERFECT for now!)

Yeah, LATER I saw the search function. (Remember? I'm an old[er] fart?)

Guess the first thing I should do is download and print the full manual--if I can find it. And then spend the next 24 hours ignoring the family and reading all about it. (I'm bringing home a pizza tonight, so I don't think they'll care anyway.)

I'm pretty sure the 1" max cut depth won't be a problem for either guitar bodies or masks, but I have a heck of a lot to learn before getting into EITHER area.

Having a graphic arts computer backgound definitely helps, but this is STILL like a totally new language, since we're taking 3D and heights and image mapping and such.

Little by little, because this is a big investment, and I have to bring the wife on board. She is WAY into crafts, all types, especially jewelry, so if I can convinve her that it this will work for her to cut certain types of plastics/acrylics, she may jump on board.

Thanks again guys. I'll be BAAAAAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKK!!!

With a million questions.

deemon328
01-11-2008, 03:55 PM
I think the hardest part to acheive is finding the product to sell.

The CW seems like a great machine to get into business with on a shoestring if you're looking at making one or two parts a day. If you need 10's and 100's, I don't think it's practical. One thing is for sure, you'll need to be prepared for maintenance issues, and you'll need to build that into your schedule, sometimes 2-3 weeks if you have a problem that necessitates sending the machine in for repair. If you don't have a deadline for the items, that would align well with the CW.

I know a guy that bought one of those big house-mortgage type CNC machines. He's really struggling to survive and is losing his health and risking his house for getting in too deep.

If I were starting from ground zero and basing my shop on the carvewright, here's how I'd outfit my woodshop. Primary consideration is the creation of flat stock to use in the machine. Tool listing at Grizzly.com (http://www.grizzly.com)

Carvewright Stuff ~$2300 (depending on the deal they have running)

G0633 12" Jointer / Planer $1795
(Spiral cutterhead for ultimate finish on figured woods. Less footprint than 2 machines.)

G1023Z 10" Table Saw 3 HP Single-Phase 220V $995
Great table saw, build crosscut sled to eliminate need for chop saw)

H7214 Makita 12" Dual Slide Compound Saw $599
(Great for fast breakdown of rough lumber, could eliminate in favor of a jig saw or skilsaw and sawhorses)

G3322 24" K-Body Clamp 8 @ $34.95 = $279.60
(parallel clamps ensure accurate glue ups)

G0440 2 HP Cyclone Dust Collector $745
(keeps a tidy shop space)

Dust collection fittings and accessories $300
(6" S&D works fine and is readily available)

This is the buy good tools once scenario, instead of needing to upgrade an underperformer a year down the road. Once you determine what it is that you're making,then other specialty tools can be brought into play, such as routers/shapers, specialty sanding tools and better fence systems like the Incra TS-LS.

I have a couple of 4" x 6" picture frames on the gallery forum. They each took one hour to create in high quality mode, so that should give you an idea of the speed per area for your ideas. http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=5635

Dan-Woodman
01-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Ken is right about the cutting depth being 1", but the carving depth is only around 3/4".
or however long the flutes are on the carving bit.

later Daniel

Kenm810
01-11-2008, 04:16 PM
Hey Ira,

Pleased to meet you and welcome to the forum, looks like your off to a good start.
The machine dose have a bit of a learning curve, but it's not to bad.
There's lots of folks here always willing to help if they can. Like your question about "alginate mask of someone's face,"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2-MRL8cAg

The machine is limited in cutting depth, but that can be over come by layering the carvings.
It'll be a little while be for you get into that. As you mentioned, read every thing you can,
to get started, working or playing with the designer software is really good practice. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif

deemon328
01-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Loved the elevator music in that video.

I haven't seen an example yet on layered carvings, Ken. Do you happen to have an example handy?

Kenm810
01-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi Dustin,
I'm home for the weekend, my shop computer is 38 mile for me till monday.
I'll see what I can dig up for you when I get back to my studio at begining of next week.

TIMCOSBY
01-13-2008, 01:00 AM
and read what each tool command does and other helpfull tips. this would be better than reading the manual.

mcanelly
01-13-2008, 02:40 AM
4) Is anyone using this unit for commercial purposes in a successful way? I have a heavy graphics background, and I see a million possibilities:

I just wanted to let you know that the machine isn't intended for commercial use, however it has kept up with my new business alot better than I ever expected.
My father and I have a sign carving business and since we purchased the Carvewright machines(2), that is all we use now. We used to carve the signs free hand with a router, however the quality of the finished product from these machines just blows our customers away.
There is alot to learn as far as the maintenance and upkeep goes, but once you work with them for awhile it's really not too bad.
I will be posting some pictures of our signs in the near future to show off a little. I just fugured out how to add a picture so here is one of our signs.
Good luck and happy carving.
Jim

The "DH"
01-13-2008, 07:14 AM
Ira,
Welcome... I use my machine in my business approx 25 to 40 hours a week. Yes I have problems from time to time but when I first started last July (fulltime) I had spare parts on hand and with the help of the forum and LHR my machine was never down for more than a day or two. Then about four months ago I had made enough in profit to buy a second machine. I still do alot of freehand carving but the machine has tripled my output and gives my customers more options.
As for the bigger more expensive machines I found another shop that has an engraver and we worked out a deal that makes both of us some money without me needing to make a large investment or take up space at this time.
I strongly recommend shopping around for your lumber with a good planner and joiner you can save 100s. I recently got ahold of 100BF of walnut for $250....
Best of luck.

deemon328
01-13-2008, 07:39 AM
DH, that's awesome news! Thanks for sharing your success with the hopefuls like me :)

liquidguitars
01-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Welcome!
I like the little CNC for design, yes it will build a guitar or a bass or anything you can model in 3D or paint in a 2D program.

This fender shape neck was modeled to scale in 3D and carved on the CW. The neck will be fliped next and will be put back in to finish. Makes for a fast way to build a guitar if you are a smaller shop like we are. Sit back and let the carvewright do the work.

http://liquidguitars.com/assets/images/SledworkR002_copy.jpg

LG

ibanez270
02-26-2008, 05:20 PM
LG
Love your guitars. Did you make the necks with the CW? Been lurking for some time. I'll be picking my CC up on Thursday can't wait. One reason for getting one is for guitar necks. I would like to try a strat neck first. Don't suppose I could get your file for the neck ?
Great forum thanks
john

PS: My wife wants to use the CC too :D