PDA

View Full Version : Pattern Depot Wishlist

Router-Jim
01-11-2008, 08:00 AM
I really like the pattern depot "try it" program and would like to see one improvement.

Would it be possible to list an estimated carve time? I realize that how you resize a pattern has a big affect so perhaps a standard size and depth scale could be used. Something like 8" x 8" x1/4" = X minutes in normal mode.

I recently ran into a potential problem when trying to quote a project.

Thanks

Jim

yuppicide
01-17-2008, 10:28 PM
What is the try it anyway? Is it smaller versions of what you'd buy or what?

TIMCOSBY
01-18-2008, 12:07 AM
that if you did a carve region 8"x8" and upload it to the card it would give you the longest possible carve time. as far as the patterns it depends on what size you make them in designer so there could be no way to post a carve time. i think the carve time is just width times length = x minutes. i know that if part of the width is not carved then the bit moves ever so slightly faster same with the probe if its not touching the bottom of the sled it moves faster across the scan area till it hits an object.

dongear@earthlink.net
01-18-2008, 06:17 AM
Is there any way to print out the entire pattern library? It might be helkpful to have all the patterns to view at one time, and to retain and update.

Thanks,
Don

Router-Jim
01-18-2008, 09:06 AM
Here's the potential problem I ran into:

I work out a price per hour with a client. I download several patterns using the "Try it" option. I show the client and he's thrilled and asks, "How long will this one take to carve?" I had to answer, "I'm guessing about 2 hours."

I don't like to guess when it comes to quotes.

For those who haven't tried the "Try it" option it lets you download any pattern you want free. This allows you to try them in any way you want just like patterns in your library. The only thing is you can't upload them to your card until you purchase the license. I have no problem with that, but as far as I know uploading is the only way you can get an estimated carving time.

Seems to me an ECT (estimated carving time) would not be that hard to implement.

hotpop
01-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Router-Jim

I just went to Designer and inserted a 1" square by .25"deep. Bit Optimization to best and upload carve quality to best. The carve time is 2:15 minutes. I changed the depth to see if the was any difference and the carve time is still 2:15. With that being said, your 8"x8"=64 sq. inches x 2 1/4 minutes per sq. inch = 144 minutes or 2.4 hrs.