PDA

View Full Version : CAn i use the probe software with my CNC router??

nextcarve
01-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi,

I need to know the following:
After i scan my product with the PROBE and the COMPUCARVE, if I can use my CNC ROuter (not a compuCARVE).

Reason being that my CNC machine is faster and more professional than the COMPUCARVe one.

In other words, i will be using the COMPUCARVE only for scanning purposes.

If anybody has information about any other type of scanners, please let me know.

Thanks for any clarification and help,

NEXTCARVE

Jeff_Birt
01-10-2008, 04:06 PM
Easy as 1-2-3 (sort of):

1) You can now export a scanned item as a heightmap in the PNG format.

2) Then you would need a program to convert from a heightmap to some 3d format that that your router software understands.

2) And then of course you need to be able to generate the toolpaths for your router.

Depending on what type of router you have and the controller it uses you may be able to buy a scanning probe for it as well, but you will essentially be using the same conversion process as above. And, you will be tying up your big router for hours on end to do a scan.

nextcarve
01-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Easy as 1-2-3 (sort of):

1) You can now export a scanned item as a heightmap in the PNG format.

2) Then you would need a program to convert from a heightmap to some 3d format that that your router software understands.

2) And then of course you need to be able to generate the toolpaths for your router.

Depending on what type of router you have and the controller it uses you may be able to buy a scanning probe for it as well, but you will essentially be using the same conversion process as above. And, you will be tying up your big router for hours on end to do a scan.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your explanation but i am a little bit confused, since i am new with all this.

Once i scan with the probe you say i need to transfer that to another program compatible with the router. Once done i can start my carving process right??
I will use the compucarve for small jobs and will use the CNC for bigger projects.

One more thing, what are the max scanning measurements that the probe has?
Can i use the scanner/PROBE for more than 15 hours? NON STOP??? without any problems?

Sorry for all my questions!

Thanks,
NEXTCARVE

TIMCOSBY
01-13-2008, 12:06 AM
only about an 1" if you have a steep hole. width about 13" and you can run it till you run out of room on the storage card which i think is around 35 hours on best but not sure.

Jeff_Birt
01-13-2008, 02:07 AM
the data the probe puts out is a set of x,y coordenates with the height of the object at that point (called a height map). You need to have a piece of software that can interpret that data and create a 3d model out of it. Then you need software that can take the 3d model and create the toolpaths for your router. The great thing about the CW is that it does all the conversion for you.