PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it?

NSALMON
01-10-2008, 03:23 PM
I've done some research about this machine and my question is for ALL of you since you've all had (serious) problems: was the purchase worth it? I've heard good things and I've heard bad things. For $2000 the last thing I want from a piece of machinery is consistent problems. I'm very interested in this machine but have reservations. I'm hoping CW won't delete this thread but who knows. Please let me know how you feel about this purchase ($2000 is a lot of money for me). Thanks.

gmalanoski
01-10-2008, 03:48 PM
First, I think all would agree that we enjoy our "toy". You can't purchase this machine and think that you are going to open a production shop and pump out carvings all day long. It just isn't suited for that volume. The #1 rule with the CW is "keep it clean". Dust/shavings seem to be the biggest threat and cause the most problems.

With that said, I went in with my eyes open and anticipating some trouble. Unfortunately for me, I had to return mine with only 14.5 hours on it. The new one will be here tomorrow! :)

If you consider another route, you are going to pay out 3x as much, then have to purchase the software to run it - which isn't as user friendly. Maybe some others can address the other software applications for other products. I have no experience with them. But all things considered, I can't wait to "play" with mine. If you get one, you'll find you'll make alot of friends who want all sorts of stuff.

Best of luck.

P.S. Sears has a 90 satisfaction guarantee and the Craftsman club discount can save you $$$....

mtylerfl
01-10-2008, 04:47 PM
I've done some research about this machine and my question is for ALL of you since you've all had (serious) problems: was the purchase worth it? I've heard good things and I've heard bad things. For $2000 the last thing I want from a piece of machinery is consistent problems. I'm very interested in this machine but have reservations. I'm hoping CW won't delete this thread but who knows. Please let me know how you feel about this purchase ($2000 is a lot of money for me). Thanks.

Hello NSALMON,

Yes, the purchase was certainly worth it for me. Can do things now for less than a $2000 investment (that's a tremendous bargain for a "cnc" machine) that were not possible before the CarveWright. Also, it is easy to operate the machine and the software if you have a little "computer savvy" and can follow directions.

Did I say this already? - Absolutely, it is worth it!

deemon328
01-10-2008, 05:13 PM
$2k is a colossal sum of money to me. I don't care if it's cheap for a CNC machine or not; I could purchase several upgrades to my woodshop with that money. My problems with the machine have given me more stress than I've had in years, largely because I spent so much cash on something that's giving me problems. Now that you know that, I'll share more thoughts.

The CW brought a new realm of possibilities to the wood shop that I didn't have before. The software was extremely easy for me to pick up and use. I'm not sure if there's another user friendly solution out there...possibly the CNC Shark.

My shop time is also limited. I have 3 small kids, so I can't take them out to the shop with me. I can, however, design my next project on the PC and keep an eye on them. The past few days, I'd get up at 6:30am and put a board in and start a carve. When I got the kids off to school and got back at 8:30am, my carve was complete. That duplication of my output really means a lot. When you can push a button and leave, then have your vision realized, it's worth $2000.

Unfortunately, I returned mine today for a new one at Sears, and it will be here next week. I expected a few problems(I fully expected the Z-pack to need replacing, for instance), but I seemed to get every problem listed on the site. I'm willing to give it another shot because of it's usability.

I don't really have time to mess around trying to build a hobby CNC machine and bounce between software, and I don't have more money to dump into a ready made version.

Until more significant competition comes out and/or we get an industrial version of the carvewright(which they should have done in the first place), I am considering this an early adopter/bleeding edge purchase.

It's worth it when it works, and it's stressful when it's not working.

STEAM
01-10-2008, 06:50 PM

Consider what you are dealing with here. It's not built like a tank but then what woodworking tool is. With all tools you have to keep them lubed and cleaned or they will break down. Granted it still has it's share of "bugs" but show me a new product that doesn't. The way LHR takes care of their customers is simply unheard of these days. They bend over backwards to support their customers.
Would I recommend buying one? Yes-but don't buy one expecting miracles. Go into it open minded realizing you may have problems but after you get over the bumps its a great machine. Just take your time-take it slow-and learn how to use it. With patience and proper care it will provide what it promises.

Ultimately the choice is up to you. If you consider woodworking a hobby that you enjoy and you can afford the price ; then it is a good investment. I think $2000 is a lot of money for almost all of us here. It's a serious amount of money to spend on a hobby. If I had it to do again I would.:)

Good Luck on your decision.

nickmathis
01-10-2008, 07:14 PM
To all prospective Carvewright and Compucarve owners,

This is a wonderful concept and the people at LHR are very helpful and enthusiastic about their products. I have no doubt that in five years, they will perfect it.

Unfortunately, the machine is not good enough. I'm sure you've read all of the problems in the forums. If not, please read everything and expect all problems to happen to you. Also expect to have to return the machine within the first year at least once. I've spent less time actually carving with the machine than I have (trying at) fixing it. That's not acceptable at $2000 (not including the bits, scanning probe, etc.).

Contrary to some reviews I've read, the problems I've encountered are/were entirely unavoidable by following the instructions to the letter and heeding all warnings. It is, quite simply, an inconsistent machine that favors malfunctioning.

The software needs too much work. I won't go into that.

I suggest coming back in five years and getting that machine. For now, save your cash and buy a CNC machine from a company that has been around longer.

Hope this helps.

Nick Mathis

PS: My apologies, to LHR. I tried really hard to love this machine. We can still be friends, right? *wink and a smile*

TIMCOSBY
01-11-2008, 03:08 AM
one small problem two loose screws. tightened them up and it has been blowwin and going without any problems. what it can do is outstanding. the software is easy to use but as a user of cad programs daily it can't compare but doesn't need to either it does what it is supposed to do. if you like carved panels and such go for it i say.

liquidguitars
01-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Contrary to some reviews I've read, the problems I've encountered are/were entirely unavoidable by following the instructions to the letter and heeding all warnings. It is, quite simply, an inconsistent machine that favors malfunctioning.

The software needs too much work. I won't go into that.

This is complete crap as far as i think. I own 2 units and the CW is a
good choice for anyone getting into 3D wood working, it's funny how smart guys can't run this simple tool. :rolleyes:

I suggest coming back in five years and getting that machine. For now, save your cash and buy a CNC machine from a company that has been around longer.

Ok i will bite, What software do you use and what CNC should we all run down to buy so were on the cutting eage like you are?

LG

dwbox
01-11-2008, 11:58 AM
This is complete crap as far as i think. I own 2 units and the CW is a
good choice for anyone getting into 3D wood working, it funny how smart guys can't run this simple tool.

Ok i will bite, What software do you use and what CNC should we all run down to buy so were on the cutting eage like you are?

LG

I'll bite too. I'd really be interested in "what machine" as well. I looked at the Shark and all of its derivatives, including building my on. I could never get comfortable with exactly what software I really needed in order to produce anything. Additionally, these type of CNC machines are only as good as the rails, stepper motors, and (user chosen) router allows. Then, when I'm done, and it's not working correctly, who do I go to?

I've had some issues, and I get angry when I have them because when I'm ready to work/carve, I'm ready to work/carve. But.....even some of the simplest signs I've made have made some people EXTREMELY happy because I took the time, expense, and thought enough of them to create something just for them. It's hard to put a value on that.

So, again, which CNC machine SHOULD I be doing this with?

nickmathis
01-11-2008, 03:43 PM
As you can see, some people such as LG are doing very well, which is wonderful to hear. Though, I would ask these people if they've sent in their machines for repair and how much personal repair they've had to do whether on they're own or with the help of the many PDFs LHR keeps handy in expectation of customers running into common problems. It seems, many users keep at least two machines in order to keep one running while the other is out of service.

Keep in mind, you could get a machine that never malfunctions, but I would advise expecting every possible problem so that you are ready for them.

Again, in theory, the concept is wonderful and the software is very simple and user friendly in comparison to professional programs with a steep learning curve. There are bugs, but LHR tries to fix them as soon as possible. They do they're best.

I will stick to my guns, however. Check back each year, though I'll bet come three to five years from now you won't be able to find a better low-end pro-sumer CNC machine. By then, they'll have finished testing the machine through their users. Things look very good for the future, but I don't suggest buying it yet.

BOTTOM LINE: Be prepared for the worst experience buying a machine. This way, you will happy if it doesn't turn out as bad. I landed in the middle, with more problems popping up every time I use it. Like people say: When it's good it's great.

PS: I'd prefer not plugging other companies on this forum. Also, my experience with other machines is second hand as I don't own them myself. I've only used a few that belong to friends (who have more money than me *wink*).

Best of luck,
Nick

hotpop
01-11-2008, 07:17 PM
NSALMON
You have to realize that the CW machine was built for the hobbyist.

I fly radio controlled aircraft as a hobby also. When I first started I didn't know a thing about it. Over the years I have buried lots of airplanes, that's hundreds of dollars. Eventually I learned how to control them. There is lots of time required to build a $200 model airplane, then invest $500 for the radio gear then invest another $100 for an engine and there's also an investment required for the building tools. On the first flight you say a little prayer hoping every is right and you can land the thing in one piece.

I look at the CW as a hobby also. Sure I had some problems with the software, the machine, limitations, adjustments, raw materials. I also found out that most of the machine problems were my fault. Failure to keep the machine clean, proper lubrication, checking for loose screws, listening for unusual sounds, bad designs with the software, etc. It's just like a car, check gauges, change oil, check fluids, check for leaks, etc.

I'm sure investing $2000 to get into a hobby is a stretch for some people. If your not willing to go through the learning curve and do regular maintenance then perhaps it would be wize to look into a different hobby.

Gallaher
01-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Hotpop,
I to was big into RC aircraft. I picked RC helicopters so you know I went through not just a learning curve but through lots of money.

I do like the machine, but I think it was over engineered to the point that it gives to many false alarms that shut down the machine without a real problem existing. With all the "safety switches" it is a challenge to keep the thing running without a false alarm shutting it down.

I had door problems from day 1. I had a roll of painters tape next to the machine so I could tape the door shut to try to stop the alarm's. It did not work.

I was just at my local woodworking store today and they had out their CNC machine. Yes, it was $2300.00, which is several hundred more than I paid for the CW. It worked great with far greater detail then the CW. The only thing was they had to build a plastic shield around it to prevent stupid people from sticking their hands into the machine and having fingers removed. :rolleyes:

It has almost no safety switches and was completely open on a three axis moving table. The point is that when you buy a table saw if you stick your hand in the blade and remove your hand your a dumb *** that should stay away from machines that move.

I think the CW would have been better without all the safety switches. ;)

deemon328
01-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Most respectfully, I understand that it's not an industrial production machine, but just because it's built for the amateur doesn't mean that you should be forced to tinker with the hardware or else have it more succeptible to breaking.

I'm fine with making dumb mistakes in designer and ruining a board or even breaking a bit because of my design errors. I'm fine with normal maintenance and calibration. Those are normal processes. I'm not ok with the machine shaking itself apart just because I'm using it.

To use an analogy that I'm more familiar with, there's a big difference between a Black and Decker Firestorm drill and a Bosch drill. Better torque, better batteries, better speed, more clutch settings. But, that doesn't mean that I should have my firestorm drill fall apart from drilling too many holes.

highway
01-15-2008, 08:10 PM
The CW is analogous to the first computer "kit" that I bought in 1972, assembled, programmed, and upgraded over a few years. It's the begining of the begining and if you want in on the ground floor, the price is $, frustration, and more hours of maintenance than use. I've got very few hours on my CW actually working and it still misbehaves badly; just like that darn computer. Every now and then I get a great carving and I think I control the universe. Love every minute of it. Most people don't.
Highway

The "DH"
01-16-2008, 07:10 AM
The machine is build and advertised for hobby use, and like several have stated this is the ground floor. I've been on the ground floor many times with love hate relationships with hardware, software and so on in the past.

2K is alot of money for most, but after a month it was my wife that pushed me over the edge and I dove in for the long haul ahead (Jan07). Yes I know there was going to be problems, Yes I saw the possabilities of the machine.

I push the limit of my machine every week!!!! I experience problems but I always get what I'm after.

I reitred from the Navy in Jul07 and decided to open my own shop full time and instead of building my own CNC or paying 7K for a low end shopbot I went to sears and got a second CW. I can tell you that my machines have paid for themselves and earned enough to get one of those 7K machines. However since my CWs are running full bore every week I don't see the need right now for the bigger more expensive CNC.

Would I do it again YES, would I recommend it to someone else YES, but I would be honest and let them know it has problems BUT they are fixable.

Digitalwoodshop
01-16-2008, 10:34 AM
The machine meets my needs, scrapped plans for a Shop Bot.

DH, Enjoyed looking over your website. You have some fantastic projects and you are in a great area for Sales. Enjoyed my 4 years in Norfolk on a old Tin Can.

I need to look more into doing stuff like that in my area too.

Thanks,

AL

FCC(SW) Retired 1995

liquidguitars
01-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Nice work DH!

LG

dspeers
01-16-2008, 12:48 PM
Got my machine a little over a year ago and I've rarely had any problems - I've never had to send it back. I did find 2 screws loose on the z-truck once -- it didn't seem to be affecting things adversely but didn't want to leave them to fall out either.

The few errors I've had were real, not false alarms -- and probably saved itself from harm, or at least a lame result.

It does a nice job and I'm very pleased with it. Cost wise, yeah, it was a stretch but I'd do it again in a minute.

Dan

FINGERS
01-16-2008, 03:14 PM
Hay Dan how many cut hours do you have on your machine?

fwharris
01-16-2008, 06:20 PM
I got my CC/CW machine in Sept. 2007 and the only real equip. problem I've had was the flex shaft over heating. Luckily I was right there to shut it off. It did not melt it like some of the others. Even go a new one at no cost in 3 days.
I have found that most of the problems were the guy running it. Learning curve is fairly steep in some cases. just have to try and fail or try and succeed.
If i had to do it over again, yes I would buy one.

Just remember this forum is your friend with alot of resources to draw upon.

billybob
01-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Bought mine from sears in aug 07,it would not do anything the display panel lit up and said compucarve.The cd would not run either,took it back got another one,Other than my learning how it worked not much went wrong made some nice xmas gifts.last week the bearing on the z-truck came loose LHR wanted it back so I'm waiting ,sure do miss it.I would like some info from the computer guys,my goal is making light boxes with the corian,don't have much experience with photo editing[don't really have much exp with computers at all] but I just bought a new one and was wondering what was the best ,easiest,cheapest,to get.Would appreciate any feedback
billybob

TIMCOSBY
01-17-2008, 03:57 AM
is free and very good. lots of plugins too on its forum.

mmartin55
02-02-2008, 07:10 PM
Gallaher,

Who makes the $2,300 unit and where can I get more information on it. I like the idea that it is more commercial which suits my needs more and I will have it in a shop where there are no univited guests or children present with it running. I also like the fact that you said it is more precise, probably faster too.

Thanks for your help,

Tom

Bob Rodgers
02-16-2008, 06:32 PM
I could sure use some help. I bought my machine at Sears in 8/07 and it has been down almost constantly - less than 28 hours cut motor trun ime in 6 months. I now have multiple errors: Y axis stall, Z axis stall, cover open sensor error and melted flex shaft covering. I notice that some poeple have reported returning the machine to Sears for replacement - how do you do that? I contacted the local sears store and they just laughed at the idea of bringing it to them. After 2 hours on the 800 line, I was told I need to send the machine back to LHR - not Sears, and that I pay shipping BOTH WAYS plus I pay for repair of any damage during shipping. The customer service rep was talking about REPAIR and I was talking REPLACEMENT. If anyone out there has had any success actually replacing the meacine, please let me know how you did it.

Kenm810
02-16-2008, 07:11 PM
The carvewright and Sears Compucarve are the the same machine,
both are from LHR and both are serviced and repaired by LHR.
Both are covered by the 1 year, 200 HR Warranty from LHR which covers the cost of repair and parts on the CW or CC Machines
including the cost of shipping both ways, to and from LHR with in the warranty period.
The cost of shipping damage is, and always has been a gray zone,
no one wants to take the reasonability of shipping damage, that is a sad fact, but true.
That's why I spend an extra $20.00 or $30.00 to insure the replacement cost of nearly anything I ship by common carrier.
I'm really not sure why someone on that 1-800 line would tell you the cost of everything was on your ticket.

Sears has a 90 day no question asked return policy, after that you have to use the LHR Mfg. Warranty