PDA

View Full Version : New Chuck

bizbiki
01-09-2008, 09:28 AM
I finally got my new quick release chuck in from LHR and plan on installing it tonite whem I get home from work (I forgot to buy the purple locktite last night).

My question is this; should I lube the new chuck with anything before I install it? Out of the box the release mechanism seemed to be sort of sticky so I sprayed some white lithum grease on it in order to get it working smoothly (it worked) I wiped off the excess now I plan to install should I do anything else first?

One side note, I had to use a heat gun to loosen the locktite that was on the original chuck; in doing this I found out that a hot heat gun looks just like a cool heat gun,.....BUT FEELS DIFFERENT!

Thanks for your help

Louie

Jeff_Birt
01-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Make sure the threads are completely free of lubrication before installation. I like to use a dry-plate (spray on) lube on the chuck as it will not attract sawdust.

ruggybear
01-09-2008, 10:03 AM
Louie,

I just replaced my chuck last week. I did not lube it with anything and the new chuck works very easy once installed. You mentioned purple locktite, I hope you mean BLUE...

Ken

bizbiki
01-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Jeff and Ken

Thanks for your quick replies, I will get blue locktite this evening.

Jeff what form (name brand) does dry plate lube come it

Thanks

Louie

Dan-Woodman
01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
I got some Gunk- Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant at Wlly World.
later Daniel

Jeff_Birt
01-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I use a Gunk product I got an an automotive parts store.

http://www.gunk.com/menu_LP.asp #L512

bizbiki
01-10-2008, 03:35 PM
thanks for the help. I replaced the chuck last night and now I am convinced that I must have had a defective chuck from the onset. The new chuck is truely a quick release and is very ez to use. Since I bought this machine in May of 2007 I have always had a battle on my hands every time I wanted to change bits.

This forum is invaluable as a source of information and for troubleshooting

Thanks again

Louie