PDA

View Full Version : Some Thoughts

dwbox
01-08-2008, 08:33 AM
I thought I'd share a few thoughts this morning on nothing, and everything.

- This is a GREAT forum. I've sold computer technology for 30+ years, and have always been an early adopter. As such, I've been on MANY forums where we share modifications and howto's on computers, Jeep Liberty's, PT Cruisers, kayak fishing, etc.................You guys are WAY up there. For instance, the masking tape trick to fool the sensors when you've pre-stained or pre-painted the board................priceless. And this is just one of many.
- The machine is finicky. But I'm OK with that because I can see the engineering side of what they've done. I clean my machine after every use, but I just REALLY cleaned it after 10 hours of use. Man, there's a LOT of stuff in there. No big deal, it felt new again; kind of like when you change your oil. Everything just feels better. I'll keep it clean too, because I love what it can do.
- This is my second machine. The first one broke after 2 hours; power supply. I was somewhat angry because I missed giving some Christmas gifts. But, I gave one of my key hangers to a sibling a week after Christmas. She called and told me that the gift, what it said, how I gave it to her, etc, ALL hit at a moment when she really needed it, and that it had a profound change on her life. Wow..........now I know why my first machine broke.
- Price. Well, first of all. After my previous post, does anyone really think I care how much it cost? I have the machine, all the bits, and the probe. I've trashed a ton of wood, so who knows what I've spent. But......this is a hobby and most hobbies are expensive. I've got half this cost wrapped up in a Beretta I love to shoot. Not a cheap hobby. I uesed to kayak fish because it was "cheaper." Ya right. Or the friend who told me years ago they HAD to deer hunt because they could not afford beef. Let's see, 5 deer rifles, 2 4x4's, $2K a year for the lease, and 20 trips a year to west Texas......could'a bought a lot of beef. I would have respected the truth more, they just loved to hunt as a family, and I'm OK with that. The point is, most of us are hobbiests who may make some money on the side. Hobbies are expensive so quit trying to rationalize the cost.
- To those who are looking at the machine, it's great. But it's not a table saw, or a router, or a skil saw. It's a complex machine and complex machines take maintenance.
- Noise. It's no louder than my router, and I dont' get saw dust in the face while using it.
- Dust. I have a rigged device under the machine going to a heavy duty shop vac with dual filters. It does a pretty good job, and cleans the machine nicely after each use.

Oh, well, guess I'm done. Happy new year to everyone. Thanks for all the input on here, you guys and gals are top notch. BTW- Compared to most forums, you guys are much more polite, use much cleaner language, don't tee off on folks, etc. :)

Hawg_man
01-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Well said DW..................I spent $35K on a bass boat to catch one 10LB Bass but would not trade all the memories and pleasure while pursuing it. This is a great Hobby machine and the projects I've created and given to people have more than been returned in the pleasure they derived out of receiving such unique gifts. I welcome all new users who may have received or bought the Carvewrigth over the Holidays and look forward to sharing during this ne year.

Bob