PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Through Bottom:

lootlam
01-08-2008, 07:37 AM
I didn't find the answer I need with the search function. Perhaps this has been discussed before. I need to know about the depth of cut with the "CUT PATH" function. Can you fix the depth cut so as not to cut completely through the board?

I've cut my first profile (with tangent lines and arcs) successfully. I used a 1/4 hardboard spacer under the board so the machine would not cut into the belts. However, the machine cut completely through the board and spacer. To my supprise the belts didn't get cut. The "JIGGING" options I've read about refers to cutting outside the horizontal limits of the board and NOT the depth or thickness.

I though that the machine would read the "THICKNESS" of the board form the "BOARD SETTINGS" and only cut to that depth.

mtylerfl
01-08-2008, 07:47 AM
I didn't find the answer I need with the search function. Perhaps this has been discussed before. I need to know about the depth of cut with the "CUT PATH" function. Can you fix the depth cut so as not to cut completely through the board?

I've cut my first profile (with tangent lines and arcs) successfully. I used a 1/4 hardboard spacer under the board so the machine would not cut into the belts. However, the machine cut completely through the board and spacer. To my supprise the belts didn't get cut. The "JIGGING" options I've read about refers to cutting outside the horizontal limits of the board and NOT the depth or thickness.

I though that the machine would read the "THICKNESS" of the board form the "BOARD SETTINGS" and only cut to that depth.

Hello George,

When using a cut path, the machine cannot cut the belts because the cutting head is always above the gap between them.

As far as setting the depth for the cutpath feature, the machine automatically measures the board thickness and calculates the proper cutting depth.

When a cutpath is performed, the machine will leave a small wood "tab" here and there (random) around the piece being cut out. (That's so the piece is held in position and won't come loose and flop around.)

All this is done automatically for you when you use the cutpath feature. By using your 1/4" spacer (unneccessary, by the way), the machine measured the total thickness of your board AND the spacer - that's why it cut through both layers - you goofed!

You were very fortunate that you did not damage your machine - the 1/4" spacer would have had the tabs, instead of your board. That created a potentially "damaging scenerio" because your board cutout itself was not properly held in place by the safety tabs.

Hope that helps to clarify things for you. Let us know if you have any further questions.

TerryT
01-08-2008, 07:47 AM
The machine will cut 1 inch, I believe. The belts never get under the bit so you don't have to worry about them. The machine does all the cutting in the space between the belts and when using the cut path, will leave small tabs holding the pieces together.

Sorry Michael, we must have been typing at the same time.

lootlam
01-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Thanks to all for the very useful tips. I totally forgot about the space between the TWO X-Drive belts. Yes indeed, the cutter will never touch the belts.

deemon328
01-11-2008, 06:32 AM
While you can't control depth of cut with cut path, you can control the depth of a cut by other means.

Example:

Create a square on your board.
Right click inside the square and choose 'Select bit...'
Enter in your desired depth.In this way, you can leave a little extra material than what the cut path leaves. For example, if you have a 3/4" thick board, you could set the depth to .68" to leave a little extra wood all the way around the path.