PDA

View Full Version : New User

nv-dave
01-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

I have been following the Forums for a couple of weeks, but just got my machine yesterday at Sears. I luckily found the Gunk lubricant at a Ace Hardware here in my small town. I have a few questions and a couple of comments.

I lubed the cable as discussed in the forum with the preferred Gunk. I wiped it clean before replacing the cable. Is this correct? I monitored the temperature with an infrared gauge and it went as high as 145 F. It was never too hot to the touch, but did warm up. Is this OK? I pulled the cable after about 30 minutes of carving and it had black residue (lubricant) on it. Is this normal?

Initially I had a problem getting the machine to stop telling me to insert the board. I brought the bathroom scale to the garage and found that the clutch would disengage before I could get 75-85 lbs as stated in the manual. In order to get it to work. I would apply some pressure on the machine as a lowered and that did the trick. Anyone else have a similar issue? Is there something I need to adjust?

The carvings came out OK for a first go around. I tried four different fonts, some with outlines, and can see that some will work much better than others.

I also converted a picture using Photoshop and carved that. I need to work more to make it better, but the people I carved are definitely recognizable.

I am working with small boards to get the hang of it so the text and photo are a bit more cramped than if I would have used a larger board. I think this alone would have helped somewhat.

Any thing else you could pass on to a "New User" would be appreciated!

Thanks,
NV-Dave

pkunk
01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Sounds to me like you're right on track!;) Keep at it. Practice makes perfect, or at least pretty good.:D