PDA

View Full Version : Need opinions on the CarveWright

Torino
01-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I was all set to buy one then read all the remarks at the sears site and on this forum. There are a lot of negative comments on this machine. It seems on the Sears site it either gets one star or five. People love it or hate it. Have they worked out the problems? Would you buy one now? This would be just for a hobby.

Router-Jim
01-07-2008, 06:49 PM
I would buy a second machine in a heart beat if I had too. I guess the question I have to ask is, what do you expect to do with the machine?

Ron Baird
01-07-2008, 07:08 PM
Mine is three years old and I love it. Buy one from CarveWright and you will love it too.

chipseverywhere
01-07-2008, 10:31 PM
I have many problems but most were my fault, read the forum and learn and enjoy:p

Torino
01-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Why should I buy one from CarveWright? I was thinking of getting one at Sears and get the extended service so I could take it back if it started giving me trouble after a year. Plus, if it needed service I would not have to pay to send it back to CarveWright. I could just take it back to Sears and get a new one.

FINGERS
01-08-2008, 01:40 AM
Is the machine rite for you is a vague question, you should be asking am I rite for the machine, Let's see the softwear part is user friendly and the basic function of the machine is also,In a perfect world that's all you need to know, BUT HELLO it's not and the machine is not perfect "workable" but not perfect, when the time comes for you to replace parts are you willing and able to do so, do you have the basic handtools to preform the task of replacing parts and putting it back like you found it, WELL CAN YOU ? Yet us not forget about the other tool you'll need in your workshop like sanders and planers and vac OH-MY, do you have the room for the machine and all of its appendages, WELL if you do and you can, I SAY GO FOR IT YOU'LL LOVE IT!

The "DH"
01-08-2008, 06:02 AM
I have two machines one is almost a year old and the other is four months, I love and hate them both, but most of the time I love them..... I've been through many problems and with the help of the forum and LHR staff have fixed them all in my own shop. It takes time and persistants to produce the quality piece you are looking for!!! I would buy a third machine if I had too!!!

deemon328
01-08-2008, 06:31 AM
I think buying one from Carvewright directly is a good idea. If you have one from Sears, you'll almost certainly need to replace the Z-pack. That's already done if you get it from CW. It will save you a couple weeks of downtime. So, is that worth it over the Sears warranty? I can't say. There's no data that I've seen listing the costs of out of warranty repair.

I got mine from sears and have had some problems. Now I have a tricked out machine with a couple lingering problems, but overall it works. I wouldn't want to start over with a new machine from Sears again and have to go through the upgrades.

Here's why I love it and put up with the issues: the other night I popped in the memory card and started a carve for a nice picture frame. I went inside and made the family a nice dinner for an hour. I came back out, and there was my carved picture frame, ready for sanding! I just duplicated myself! Woot!

I think you may find that you'll have some issues sooner rather than later. Once those issues are resolved, I think you'll have a solid performer.

Good luck!

TIMCOSBY
01-09-2008, 12:08 AM
i haven't had to replace the zpac yet. 600 hours on time 300 hours scan time 100 hours cut time.

Ron
01-09-2008, 05:35 AM
I bought mine at Sears and up to now I love it only minamal (sp)
problems.Going on 100 hours