PDA

View Full Version : Linda's Loom

jwhllh55
01-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Here is an update on the loom I had problems with. The cut paths are fixed I think and I made it a little thicker. The second one I craved broke in half, because either the oak was to hard or was to thin. As you can see this pattern is a lot thicker.
Anyone out there in Forum land have any improvements I'm open for help.
Thanks,
John Hammett

Kenm810
01-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi John,

It's been quite a few years since I made one, but I think Barb called it an infinity rake or loom, something like that.
And she did use it is make afghans. When I saw your photo I remembered them.
I used to make them with 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood because it has 7 to 10 ply on my scroll saw.
After sanding and rounding over the edges a little, they stained and finished up pretty nice.
I was thinking may be gluing up and alternating 3 or more ply 1/8" of 1/4" Red Oak might work for you in the carver,
I'm sure it should be stronger and less likely to snap in half. And the Oak ply should finish up nice.

Just a Thought

Router-Jim
01-07-2008, 03:53 PM
It looks pretty interesting. I don't know anything about looms, but I have a pretty good knowledge of wood. I have a feeling you are going to have a problem with breakage with whatever species you choose. A good alternative I think would be to use 1/2" baltic birch ply.

Good luck.

Jim

jwhllh55
01-07-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks guys I really think your right, plywood would be a lot stronger. I really think that is the route I'll take. I was broken hearted when the oak loom fail on the floor of the shop and busted apart. There is a lot of work making one of these things. I had the pegs glued in too.
OK, Back to the shop.
Thanks again.

TIMCOSBY
01-08-2008, 04:13 AM
the endpoints are not connected.

jwhllh55
01-09-2008, 02:40 AM
the endpoints are not connected.

Thank you for the correction. I'll fix it now. I've been playing with my new probe and haven't crave the loom yet. I found some plywood but haven't cut it up. Just having to much fun with the probe. It's a kick...

TIMCOSBY
01-09-2008, 05:43 PM
red dot on the line part and drag it to the red dot on the curve when the red x shows up release and they will be connected. after all are connected then the cut path icon will light up when you pick the lines. you could leave it all together until after you get the pegs in then cut the tabs to cut it free.