PDA

View Full Version : Polycarbonate Cutting Question/suggestion

chicagoman_35
01-07-2008, 10:05 AM
I have a project I need to cut from 1/2" thick clear Polycarbonate (Lexan).
I need to cut out several shapes from a 14" X 14" square piece.

My question is this... I read that a max cut depth is .10" in this material. To cut through, do I simply make several copies of the pattern and assign incremental cut depths until I reach 1/2"? or is there a better way to do this?

bjbethke
01-07-2008, 11:23 AM
I don’t see any problems cutting plastic except for the plastic melting. I cut lots of plastic with a router; it does a great job. I haven’t tried it on my machine yet. Router bits get hot when you cut with them. When I cut ½” material with the 1/8th inch bit, my machine it will take 6 passes. I would try it and lift the cover on each pass to see if it gums up the bit. The last few passes the bit will generate more heat. Check often so you can see how your machine works.

I would use only one pattern.

Let me know how it works.

The maximum width of the material I can get into my machine is 14.75 inches.

Note; The bit will lock up if it cools when in the plastic. Check to make sure your machine lifts the bit out of the material when you open the cover. You will snap your bits if it cools in the material you are cutting.

Dan-Woodman
01-07-2008, 04:50 PM
If you use --cut path-- it will automatically leave tabs so the pieces don't fall out or get jamed.

Welcome and your best friend is search, if you can't find an answer there ,everyone here is more than happy to help.

later Daniel

chicagoman_35
01-09-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks bjbethke,
I tried with a single program and it worked perfectly...

Dan,
I did do a search, however all the posts on plastic were mainly for carving pictures into the plastic, nothing on cutting thick stock.

chicagoman_35
01-09-2008, 07:45 AM
Here is the file, it is a simple project for a testing panel used in research...

Baron Richard
01-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Chicagoman_35

Where are you getting 1/2" Lexan? I have been searching the central Ohio area and the thickest I can find is .118".

I was thinking of using the CW to cutout customized templated for my dovetail jig, but have not been successful in locating a supply of smaller, single pieces (as opposed to 10 4' x 8' bundles)

Thanks

chicagoman_35
01-09-2008, 09:28 AM
I am in the Atlanta area now...

My local suppliers are Laird Plastics and Piedmont Plastics. Both carry 1/2 (4X8) sheets and have no minimum order as it is stock. May not be GE brand, but polycarbonate sheet (same thing) Lexan is GE's brand.

I also get it in thicknesses up to 2"

hotpop
01-09-2008, 10:20 AM
Just Google - "Lexan" There are hundreds of sources.