PDA

View Full Version : Pistol Grips

pilotcreek
01-06-2008, 09:57 PM
Hi there fellow wood people, I am new to the forum and am in need of some expert advise....please. I have scanned, resized and carved a set of grips and am wondering how to, or can I , cut them out using the machine without damaging the bed. Would I just double stick tape two pieces of wood together and then set the depth deeper?

Thanks, Bill

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 10:50 PM
I'm guessing you have two patterns... one left and one right, most likely mirrored on the board. Is this correct?

I'm going to assume you are going to use a board that is about 2 inches wider and at least 7 inches longer than the board size you entered into Designer.

If so, One at a time in Designer do the following: Hight light the pattern outline and select the Cut-Path option. Select Flip cut. and then Accept. Now do the other one the same way. Do NOT Select Hide-Cutout...

Save the project and upload it to your card.
- When asked Ignore / Auto or Manual Jig, select "Ignore"
- Always select the "BEST" option for carving.

If you board is as stated above, do the following on the machine:

After the board is in place and the rollers are down and compressed,
select your project from the menu and push "OK"
When the machine askes if it should stay under the rollers, select #2 "NO"
When the machine askes about centering the project in the center, select #1 "YES"
When the machine askes about centering on the Length, select #1 "YES"
When the machine asks if you want to Cut the Board to Size, select #2 "NO"

Now letter er rip.... Things should come out fine...

Not to worry about damaging the bed, all the carving and cutting is done over the open area below the bit...

Hope this helps...

Hi there fellow wood people, I am new to the forum and am in need of some expert advise....please. I have scanned, resized and carved a set of grips and am wondering how to, or can I , cut them out using the machine without damaging the bed. Would I just double stick tape two pieces of wood together and then set the depth deeper?

Thanks, Bill

pilotcreek
01-06-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks dirty dan, I will follow your instructions tomorrow and hopefully have a set of new grips. Do the pieces not "fly" around when cut free? Bill

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 11:13 PM
When you use the cut-path the machine will leave a little piece of material attached about 1/8" wide and 1/16" thick, normally on all four sides...on the bottom... Easy to cut out...

Don't forget, the board has to be at least 7" longer and 2" wider than the Board Size you entered into Designer...

Let me know how it comes out...

Thanks dirty dan, I will follow your instructions tomorrow and hopefully have a set of new grips. Do the pieces not "fly" around when cut free? Bill

pilotcreek
01-07-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks again Gunny, I am having problems again......my grips are grouped, do I have to ungroup them in some way or can I do this with them together? and I can not select the Cut-Path option it will not let me......any ideas? bill

Digitalwoodshop
01-07-2008, 01:31 PM
Cut path options only appear when the path is closed. It you traced it, the last node might not be connected to the first node. Do you get a Outline Pattern option, you could do that first then select cut path and flip if you want it to cut on the outside of the pattern.

If the last node is not connected then use the connect line tool and let it highlight the last node then place it over the first node until it lights up.

AL

Dirtydan
01-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks again Gunny, I am having problems again......my grips are grouped, do I have to ungroup them in some way or can I do this with them together? and I can not select the Cut-Path option it will not let me......any ideas? bill

Send me the file... is it 1.120 or 1.125 I can do both, just a head up so if I have to move it to my laptop, I'll know...

pilotcreek
01-07-2008, 06:54 PM
I am not feeling real bright here...............how do you attach the file? bill

Dirtydan
01-07-2008, 07:03 PM
I am not feeling real bright here...............how do you attach the file? bill

Go to my website Uploader... http://www.ddsf-ent.com/uploader.htm

It's real simple... Give it a shot...

pilotcreek
01-08-2008, 10:43 AM
I tried it twice but am not sure if it worked. bill