PDA

View Full Version : Designer Problems, The Users are at fault!

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 08:17 PM
I’m sure some of you wonder why I continue to complain about the Designer Software. Well here goes:

You know after reading and experiencing my own problems with designer I've come to realize that the lack of action on LHR part for all the so called Designer (pick a version) issues are our own fault. It’s mostly the Designer Super Users Fault. I won't name names, but we have been blessed and doomed by the wealth of knowledge these users’s have.

Anyone who has spent time in the military or corporate America knows that there is only one way to get a problem fixed. Every has to get together and let the problems be known, keep insisting that it get resolved and if possible what can be done to fix the problem. The worst thing is the "God Sent Workaround". On the surface workarounds are great, they help us all get the job done, but it also takes away the apparent need for the problem to be fixed. It is always perceived by management that if the job is getting done, the masses in general appear to be happy and it doesn't cost them money, the problem does not really exist or require action on their part.

So it turns out that we are our own worst enemy. We find a way to work around the problem, the visibility of the problem goes away, and the people who can correct the problem feel there is no longer a need for them to act.

Don’t get me wrong, I think version 1.120 while it was wasn’t God’s gift to the Ultimate designer, it sure fit the needs of most of us… Version 1.125 is the same, it’s a great little package and LHR should be proud of the tools they have provided us and for free I might add. It’s just that it could be so much better with very little effort. The update just wasn’t done right. The golden rule was broken…Upward Compatibility, NOT.. Before some of you get excited about that statement, Yes, our old MPC files still are usable, but not the .ptn files we created. Oh, that’s right, there are “Workarounds” if…….

Jeff_Birt
01-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Actually your pattern files are still usable, you can place and carve them all in 1.125 just as you did in 1.120. The only difference, as has been stated numerous times, is that you cannot edit (with the CW Pattern Editor which has nothing to do with Designer) patterns that you did not create.

I know it is a pain to have to reimport your older artwork with Pattern Editor again but it is not impossible.

pkunk
01-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Well, Dan. I've been around the block a few times, & just prefer to roll with the punches instead of rocking the boat daily. With a little patience I'm sure all this will work it's self out. I am running 1.120 & 1.125 side by side so I have the best of both worlds. Learn to use your computer to your advantage, teach it to work for you & you will be a happy man. :p

Reset
01-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Dan,

I don't wonder why you continue to complain about the Designer Software. I wonder why more don't.

We may be (but then again, maybe not) in the minority...but you are certainly NOT alone :)

Tommy

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 09:15 PM
Well, not on my machine... Even the files from my probe scans will not open. It acts as thought I was not the origional owner/creator... As has been stated numerous times I can't load my patterns into my Favorites even... The files I have in my Favorites can't be exproted either... Oh, and I can't open my own patterns in the CW Pattern Editor either...

Any Ideas?

Actually your pattern files are still usable, you can place and carve them all in 1.125 just as you did in 1.120. The only difference, as has been stated numerous times, is that you cannot edit (with the CW Pattern Editor which has nothing to do with Designer) patterns that you did not create.

I know it is a pain to have to reimport your older artwork with Pattern Editor again but it is not impossible.

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Well, Dan. I've been around the block a few times, & just prefer to roll with the punches instead of rocking the boat daily. With a little patience I'm sure all this will work it's self out. I am running 1.120 & 1.125 side by side so I have the best of both worlds. Learn to use your computer to your advantage, teach it to work for you & you will be a happy man. :p

Like you, I've been around the block more than a few times and the one thing I've learned is this: Rolling with the punches only ensures that you will get punched more often. If you don't rock the boat, nothing will get done.

I'm also running both versions, that doesn’t make it right. The computer and the software you use are suppose to make the task at hand easier and less complex not harder and more time consuming.

Again, “Workarounds” only compound the problem… Having to run both versions so you can have the best of both worlds is not the answer, the latest version is suppose to be the “Best of both Worlds”. At least that’s what one would think would be the case.

yatrgatr
01-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Well, not on my machine... Even the files from my probe scans will not open. It acts as thought I was not the origional owner/creator... I can't load them into my Favorites even... The files I have in my Favorites can't be exproted either...

Any Ideas?

use 1.120 to open your scanned ptn's with the editor, save them as MPW's and then you can edit them as before resave a copy in ptn and 1.125 now knows it is yours. not the best way to do things but there we are.

pkunk
01-06-2008, 09:32 PM
OK Dan....But complaining ain't gonna get you there any faster than rowing.
I've been using this software for 2 years, since it's inception, & what you have now is 100 times better than when it began. Patience! :p

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 09:47 PM
Once again, we know the "Workarounds", I would like for LHR to fix their software so I and I suspect many others don't have to waste our time screwing with the stupid MPW files just so we can use our own files.

While I'm on a roll, and this isn't aimed at you, but don't you wonder:
Who was the Brain Child at LHR that decided to save an edited ptn from the Pattern Editor as a mpw any way... Wouldn't logic dictate that you save the edited pattern file in the same format you opened it? They could add a option to rename the file if necessary. Why would anyone want to do two or three extra steps just to remove a little problem area from their pattern...

use 1.120 to open your scanned ptn's with the editor, save them as MPW's and then you can edit them as before resave a copy in ptn and 1.125 now knows it is yours. not the best way to do things but there we are.

pkunk
01-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Gunny, could I buy you a beer & a shot? We could discuss the old days & forget about this for awhile.:rolleyes:

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 09:55 PM
Did you ever hear the story about the two Vultures sitting on a tree limb waiting for something to die… After a while one turned to the other and said “Patience my butt, Let’s kill something”

Sometimes you just have to beat that dead horse instead of plowing the field by hand so the farmer knows he has a problem with the horse.

Also, guys like us complain here hoping guys like you will contact LHR and let them know many of us are not very happy... We all assume (Yes, I know what Assume means) that the Moderators have a better chance of being heard at LHR than us individuals...

OK Dan....But complaining ain't gonna get you there any faster than rowing.
I've been using this software for 2 years, since it's inception, & what you have now is 100 times better than when it began. Patience! :p

pkunk
01-06-2008, 10:04 PM
Also, guys like us complain here hoping guys like you will contact LHR and let them know many of us are not very happy... We all assume (Yes, I know what Assume means) that the Moderators have a better chance of being heard at LHR than us individuals...
Last time I talked with any one at LHR was 9 months ago. It was the last time I had a problem. I won't take your 'supposed' problems to them for you. I volunteer here to try to keep the peace, help if I can, & chuckle at those of you who can't seem to keep a sence of humor.:rolleyes:

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Sure thing...

We can take turns... BTW, I like Vodka, Shaken... Kettle One will do just fine...

Gunny, could I buy you a beer & a shot? We could discuss the old days & forget about this for awhile.:rolleyes:

TIMCOSBY
01-06-2008, 10:16 PM
they are working on improving the software as we speak. but the problem most have is they see no input from the company...i.e. not posting much about changes, updates, improvements they are working on etc.

and by the way lhr an error message list and definitions of the errors would be nice.

they read things here trust me they do. just not saying they do?????

JOHNB
01-07-2008, 06:52 AM

another work around. alcohol only masks the problem, step 5 of the 12 steps. (just kidding) i'l buy a round also, we're gonna need it.

Deolman
01-07-2008, 12:59 PM
I'll take a J W Scotch on the rocks. Maybe a couple of them. I can't even think about using my machine. It is 14 degrees out in my garage right now.

Dale in Anaheim
01-07-2008, 04:21 PM
It is 14 degrees out in my garage right now.

~~~~OUCH!~~~~

pkunk
01-07-2008, 06:46 PM
I'll take a J W Scotch on the rocks. Maybe a couple of them. I can't even think about using my machine. It is 14 degrees out in my garage right now.
My standalone shop can get pretty cold (8200ft elev. & N. NM), but a few hours of burning wood in the double barrel stove and it's up to 65-70°. Helps if I keep it warm every day, too.

Dirtydan
01-07-2008, 07:12 PM

That's another reason to stay in Southern California...:cool:

Chief Boats
01-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm new to this forum. Have had my machine since last may. Have had a few problems , and have been able to work most of them out by calling for help or just figuring out myself from looking at what you guys have posted. Seems like when I try to log in to CarveWright my password is never good ?? Anyway I just got the Probe and not hooked up yet but will probably have questions after I do.

Digitalwoodshop
01-08-2008, 09:47 AM
Chief,

Try everything in lower case. Some say upper case passwords and users are now turned into lower case by lhr....

AL

USN Retired FCC(SW)