PDA

View Full Version : Port on back of Carvewright

David Cowden
01-06-2008, 05:14 PM
What is the purpose of the port on the back of the Carvewright? I would like to add a powered entry and exit table and wonder if that is used for that purpose.

Thank You,
David Cowden

Bubbabear
01-06-2008, 05:18 PM
I can not say for sure but have been told by un-named source that it is for the fourth axis addition that was supposed to be coming out next year. So you can rotate something and carve all around it.

Now that I have put this out maybe LHR will finally answer. As I have ask them on the phone and in emails and never a response

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 06:49 PM
The port is for LHR's use to check out the machine...

What is the purpose of the port on the back of the Carvewright? I would like to add a powered entry and exit table and wonder if that is used for that purpose.

Thank You,
David Cowden

David Cowden
01-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Can the port be used to access X Y or Z data? What is the pin-out of the port, Please?

thank You,
David

John
01-07-2008, 04:56 PM
I can not say for sure but have been told by un-named source that it is for the fourth axis addition that was supposed to be coming out next year. So you can rotate something and carve all around it.

Now that I have put this out maybe LHR will finally answer. As I have ask them on the phone and in emails and never a response

That is correct. Posted by C. Morlier, Carvewright staff Note: NO timetable for this

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10728#post10728

Bubbabear
01-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Thanks for finding and confirming John

QUOTE=John;40296]That is correct. Posted by C. Morlier, Carvewright staff Note: NO timetable for this

http://www.carvewright.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10728#post10728[/QUOTE]

Dan-Woodman
01-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I was told a couple years ago that it was for cw diagnostics.
just what I heard back when I bought mine.
later Daniel

Bubbabear
01-07-2008, 06:30 PM
We may never know the truth. as it may never be used. But at least C. Morlier is or at least was an insider when he wrote that. http://www.carvewright.com/forum/sho...0728#post10728
I wont hold my breath on them telling us until they decide to make use of it

later Daniel

Dirtydan
01-07-2008, 07:11 PM
later Daniel

That's wha they told me a couple of months ago... It makes sence, so I tend to believe that's what it is for... If the machine was going to have the cabability to carve in another axis, it's going to need a lot more than that plug in the back... I would think that would be a major re-design effort and a brand new machine... Guess we'll all have to wait and see...

Digitalwoodshop
01-08-2008, 10:29 AM
Gunny,

All you would need is a sled with a drive motor to hold the round blank. The head would be set to a Y position to match the sled center of rotation. The Z would work the same lowering as it went. The X would pull the sled through a little at a time. The Y2 Axis would rotate the piece as required as if it was a flat board.

Designer setup would be similar to what we do now just that the Board Width would be the Diameter of the work piece. A Starting height would need to be established but that would be a feature of the sled sides. The limit would be the high point of the rotating piece could not be higher than the rail sides of the sled. A rounded blank would give you a better yield of cuts with the 3/4 or 1 inch carving depth.

If you could get around the homing process of the bit with the Y1 Axis you could just use the Y1 Axis for the Rotation. But it will most likely be a Y2 axis that does the rotation.

Laser Engravers have rotation tools to do Wine Glasses and such.

Just a Dreaming....

AL

I borrowed some pictures from the Sawmill Laser Forum where the Laser Engraver guys are brainstorming the Rotary Device used in the Laser. I would love to build one for my Laser.

Mounting something like this on a sled to hold blanks and controlled by the Y2 Axis would work. BUT.... You need to rewrite Designer Software to act on this.... It's could just be an Activation Code away..... already being present in the Software like Centerline.....

You never know..... Could be a BIG PUSH for Sales next Christmas for LHR.... Pictures of the "NEW" Rotation SLED..... On the TV Ad's..... One way to BOOST SALES....

They would most likely size the jig to do Baseball Bats... That would be in the range of the Z with special purchased blanks from LG's Bat Division........ In on the ground floor.... Just kidding....

One more thing..... It would not be the DB25 Connector on the back of the machine that drives this but the Connector that the New Z Bundle uses for the Probe Data.... That is a Axis Drive PORT...... Just happened to be used by the new Z Bundle for Probe data... Weather there are enough wires to drive an axis too so you could "SCAN" a round item is yet to be seen.... But I think there still is.... They could recover the Lid Switch wires with a change to the New Z Bundle later to get the wires back and use a separate plug.... So many options SO MUCH FLEXIBILITY in the current design. Good Job LHR.

Dirtydan
01-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Yes, I've seen some the neat add-ons the Laser machines have... Epilog has some real neat things... But... $$$$$$. In any case, what ever the plug is used for, I'm sure LHR will keep it to them selves until it becomes something we all can use.

Gunny,

All you would need is a sled with a drive motor to hold the round blank. The head would be set to a Y position to match the sled center of rotation. The Z would work the same lowering as it went. The X would pull the sled through a little at a time. The Y2 Axis would rotate the piece as required as if it was a flat board.

Designer setup would be similar to what we do now just that the Board Width would be the Diameter of the work piece. A Starting height would need to be established but that would be a feature of the sled sides. The limit would be the high point of the rotating piece could not be higher than the rail sides of the sled. A rounded blank would give you a better yield of cuts with the 3/4 or 1 inch carving depth.

If you could get around the homing process of the bit with the Y1 Axis you could just use the Y1 Axis for the Rotation. But it will most likely be a Y2 axis that does the rotation.

Laser Engravers have rotation tools to do Wine Glasses and such.

Just a Dreaming....

Dan-Woodman
01-08-2008, 04:14 PM
I 've had thoughts of a turning sled myself.
If they just had a manual mode for now , I'd be set to where the head could be moved left to right and up and downand manually move the sandpaper.

Dirtydan
01-08-2008, 04:32 PM
I 've had thoughts of a turning sled myself.
If they just had a manual mode for now , I'd be set to where the head could be moved left to right and up and downand manually move the sandpaper.

The main problem would be beefing up the sled enough to suspend the project above the table. I would use a separate motor to rotate the project and no rely on the table to move the project. In 99.999% of the cases, you wouldn’t want the table to move at all. I guess you could make a table that would allow you to duplicate a regular wood turning lath, but it would be one big, heavy sled. It can be done, but a lot of software and firmware changes would have to be made, the development of sled that could be utilized for all applications.

Dan-Woodman
01-09-2008, 05:35 PM
I think one thing that could be done now is fluting on a turning. Just make a simple square box long enough for the turning to fit in and you could even make an indexing head on the cw first for the headstock. Then just design one simple flute run in designer, rotate turning on indexing head and run the program again,and again, till all flutes are done around the spindle. Of coarse you would have to have a sharpend bolt or something similier for the tailstock also.
later Daniel