PDA

View Full Version : How to set this up as a two-sided piece?

Lin
01-06-2008, 02:40 PM
I want to set this MPC file up as two sided. I thought if I selected all the copied and pasted it onto the back side that would work...but every thing needs to be flipped 180 degrees so both sides will come out the same....I then looked for a way to change the angle on all the selected parts...nada...not there...any suggestions to an easy way to do this? I've started getting orders for nameplates and now have an order for a two-sided one if I/we can figure it out. Thanks for any and all help..A sample MPC attached.
This is just a sample MPC of what I"m trying to do. The one I will carve has a person's logo from there business on it and can't post it.
Lin

Keenosan
01-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Lin,

Is this what you're trying to do, or something else?

Kelly

HighTechOkie
01-06-2008, 03:05 PM
You can use Flip Horizontal and Flip Vertical to get it the correct direction.

Rob

Dirtydan
01-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Lin,

Kelly's right... Here's the cutout version...

I want to set this MPC file up as two sided. I thought if I selected all the copied and pasted it onto the back side that would work...but every thing needs to be flipped 180 degrees so both sides will come out the same....I then looked for a way to change the angle on all the selected parts...nada...not there...any suggestions to an easy way to do this? I've started getting orders for nameplates and now have an order for a two-sided one if I/we can figure it out. Thanks for any and all help..A sample MPC attached.
This is just a sample MPC of what I"m trying to do. The one I will carve has a person's logo from there business on it and can't post it.
Lin

Lin
01-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Yes..Kelly that is exactly what I was after..I will delet the outer cut on the back side..it's just there on the front for a guide to me to cut it out on the scrollsaw except for a 1" tab at the bottom for the piece to fit into a base...but how did you do it easily...or did you pic each and copy paste and flip then then place in correct location?...Thanks
Lin

Keenosan
01-06-2008, 03:32 PM
No, what I did to make it quick was:

Highlight everything, then "edit, copy"
Flip to the back side, then "edit, paste"
While everything is still highlighted, grab the bottom center little yellow arrowhead and drag it straight up until the flipped oval matches (You'll see what I mean when you do it.)
Then flip or rotate the individual elements in place.

Kelly

TIMCOSBY
01-06-2008, 10:21 PM
it is easiest if you know ahead of time it is going to be two sided to do front and back at the same time i.e. every time you place a pattern on front go ahead and put it on back too then go to the next one.

Digitalwoodshop
01-07-2008, 09:04 AM
A Trick to help you align the front and back is to add some drilled holes to the board and use them then remove them.

AL

Dirtydan
01-07-2008, 10:47 AM
That's a great idea also, I would normally just use the Cut-path and then when I select the back of the board you can see the pattern and then plalce everything in the right spot. But, if you don't intend to use Cut-path, then drilling the holes would be a great help... I would use an odd number... one on each corner and then one center on the top to remind be the back side is upside down.... sometimes I forget that little detail... LOL..

A Trick to help you align the front and back is to add some drilled holes to the board and use them then remove them.

AL

TIMCOSBY
01-08-2008, 03:57 AM
attachment points to make sure they are exactly in the same place. haven't tried just eyeballing it.

Cmdr.Rav
01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
Could'nt you just run the plaque through the machine, then turn the board over insuring the top is in the same postion. Then carve the back of the board? The machine should repeat the project as long as you repeat the same operation.

The trick will be turning the board over correctly. That is really not too difficult, when the sign is finished. Take the board and flip it foward and reload it that way.

Unless I am way off and you are trying to show your customer what it would look like in the designer?

Rav

Dirtydan
01-08-2008, 07:12 PM
I think we've made this process harder than it is...

The first thing you have to is figure out if you are going to either "Flip the boad Top to Bottom" or "Flip the board just end to end". Based on that answer, you either Flip the Pattern and Text on the Rear or not... It seems like the Software and machine assume the board will be filpped top to bottom when both sides are going to be used. Now if you were making a sign that can rotate across the length of the sign (The sign would spin around the ends), you would flip the board end to end...

I put a hole on the Front Top so everyone can see how Designer handles the Front an Rear options...

Could'nt you just run the plaque through the machine, then turn the board over insuring the top is in the same postion. Then carve the back of the board? The machine should repeat the project as long as you repeat the same operation.

The trick will be turning the board over correctly. That is really not too difficult, when the sign is finished. Take the board and flip it foward and reload it that way.

Unless I am way off and you are trying to show your customer what it would look like in the designer?

Rav

upcedar
01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Lin, are u trying to make a Dog-Bone style sign - he he... Meet my buddy Lady/Bug, she chew's this Cedar right up, have to get some Iron Wood next. But, in all, it can be easliy done, everybodies right, just cut it! Best Rick

p.s. would this be called 4D?

Cmdr.Rav
01-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Gunny, that was my thoughts exactly!!! I have made double sided signs and that's what I do and they turn out great! The trick is positioning the board correctly! Pretty much you need to make sure you keep the top towards the key pad side.

Rav

Kix
06-17-2009, 10:43 PM
Hi guys, long time no type, been busy with the other two careers. I am trying to find a way to connect the two sides of a two sided pattern so that I can copy and paste and make multiples without having to fret about realigning everything on every piece. Lets say I wanted to make the golf ball pattern in the pattern store, about 30 of them. I have built the two patterns and it is succesful, how do I connect them so they stay together and I can drop them across a 6 by easily.

I know, I know, come back to the forum and all I want is answers! At least its for good charity work!