PDA

View Full Version : Please Close Cover

southfortylass
01-05-2008, 09:13 AM
We are stuck with a Please Close Cover message. We have tried cleaning and pushing in connectors. We have not yet tried pulling the gray wire out on one of the connections. We weren't comfortable with that without more current information about options, the need of the wire.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Still have 4 plaques to get out as soon as we can.

Much thanks

Azbear
01-05-2008, 09:56 AM
We are stuck with a Please Close Cover message. We have tried cleaning and pushing in connectors. We have not yet tried pulling the gray wire out on one of the connections. We weren't comfortable with that without more current information about options, the need of the wire.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Still have 4 plaques to get out as soon as we can.

Much thanks

I had this anoying glitch. I lossened the swith and moved it slightly towards the cover. This did it for me. I did notice the actuator on the switch was sticking a bit and LHR sent me a new one

southfortylass
01-05-2008, 12:35 PM
But alas no luck. It makes a click sound when then cover closes but still does not take a way the please close cover message or let us go further. Any other suggestions much appreciated.

Thank you.

JOHNB
01-05-2008, 12:41 PM
are both switches clicking? one on each side of cover.

Mikewiz
01-05-2008, 01:58 PM
Try taking the switch apart, There may be dust inside that is preventing contact. I had this problem and thats what the lhr tech had me do. Don't worry about springs falling out they are sodered in place. Hope this helps.

Mikewiz

Bubba
01-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Have you checked the switch using the sensor test ?
My switch checked fine.
Mine would say to close the cover and when It did I would hit enter, it would act like it was going to run but then it stopped and said close cover again.
Called the tech department and they had me remove the 6 pin ribbon cable on the back of the z truck (old style ).
It started to work again ,ran a two hour carving, evidently there is a magnet that becomes loose (not really needed ) after awhile and shorts out the 5 volts.
They have sent me the new version z-truck but I haven't had time to put it in yet.

Kenm810
01-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Also when you tried the key pad test, pushing 0 then 7 for a sensor stasis menu and scrolled down to the cover open spot it will read open with the lid up, use your finger or the tip of a pen to actuate the switch on the key pad side of the lid, when you hear it click, see if the display reads open or closed. If it reads open then the switch may be bad or clogged with dust, or it may have become loose or unplugged at the circuit board do to vibration, if it read closed you will have to move it forward a fraction of an inch to make better contact with the lid post.

Fireman Phil
01-05-2008, 06:19 PM
Mine gives me the same problem from time to time. I just blow air at a low pressure into the switches and that seems to clear it for a while. If you need a quick temporary fix, do the sensor check to determine which switch is not working (there are 2 of them, one one each side). Remove the 2 screws from the bottom. The switch will have 2 wires connected to the back of it, remove them (they are just slid on with quick connectors) and make a jumper with a small piece of wire. Be sure the wire is short enough that nothing gets caught in any moving parts. This will get you going if you are in a bind, like right in the middle of a project. Be sure to get the switch fixed or replaced. We don't want anyone getting hurt by 'rigging' their machine.

TerryT
01-05-2008, 07:11 PM
I have found that blowing it out with air can actually make it worse by forcing more dust into the switch. If vaccuuming out doesn't work try a spray electrical contact cleaner. I was told by one of the L A CHAR reps that they have no cover switches and don't know when they will get any. I need a replacement for my machine. I may have to go to radio shack and see what kind of temporary one I can find.

southfortylass
01-05-2008, 08:19 PM
We didn't see the switch on the left hand side. Greg thttp://forum.carvewright.com/images/editor/smilie.gifested it and found it was bad. We will send for a new one. In the interim, we did bypass the bad switch. It is great to be up and running again.

Thank you all so much for your help.

Hope you have a great new year.

spike
01-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I have found that blowing it out with air can actually make it worse by forcing more dust into the switch. If vaccuuming out doesn't work try a spray electrical contact cleaner. I was told by one of the L A CHAR reps that they have no cover switches and don't know when they will get any. I need a replacement for my machine. I may have to go to radio shack and see what kind of temporary one I can find.

Had the same problem with my machine. I used electrical contact cleaner on the switches and it cured the problem. If you use this cleaner be sure to have the straw attached to the spray nozzel don't just spray with the open nozzel.
I only give each switch a couple of quick sprays in front of the switches (don't saturate it). The spray will evaporate in about 10 or 15 seconds. If this does not work try something else and don't keep spraying the switch as excessive amounts can cause more damage (take it from a ham radio operator who knows from experience).
Good luck.

Bubbabear
01-19-2008, 07:54 AM
I found the switches at a local industrial supply company for i think 4.50 each. carry one with you and they will fix you right up

TIMCOSBY
01-19-2008, 09:36 PM
takes tightening the two screws under the switch.

sgwillis
02-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I tried to use the machine yesterday and had the same message. I had replaced the Quick Change chuck last week with the one that LHR sent me under warranty and it was working fine when I finished using it then.

I check the forum and found this thread, so I took the cover off and took removed the left switch (the one nearest the display and controls) and found that the wires attached to it were soldered. I was able to pull the shrink wrap back and put a multi-meter on both switch connections and determined that the switch had failed and was not closing to make the connection, causing the machine to prompt to close the cover.

I have emailed LHR and asked for a new switch.

If you are really in a bind I suggest soldering (with a 15/30 watt solder iron) a connecting wire across the two switch contacts until you can get a replacement switch if this turns out to be your problem.

Scott

deemon328
02-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Electrical contact cleaner is available at Home Depot or Lowe's for $7 a can. I'd suggest trying this first before you rip the sensor apart and bypass it. Mine has failed a couple times, and the cleaner fixes things right up. This could save you a week of waiting.